Lawn care advice please

• 6 Replies

Nadlen

Lawn care advice please
« on: April 22, 2011, 14:23 »
Hi there! Trying to get my lawn back to life as we weren't paying much attention to it last year.
Cut it couple weeks ago,grass was very high,half of the lawn was yellow,has few holes ( where are they from?? ) but now its growing back and looking better and better.
     I heard you shouldn't water it at all,only use "weed and feed" at this time of year.
Going to give it a good stab when i find a fork. But at the moment my question is about the edging.
I already did some cuttings but then thought maybe its too much? How far from paving should the lawn stay? If I continue I'll have about 7cm between them,like on the picture.

Ugly,I know... But hope when I did all stabbing and feeding,it will look neat. It has really owergrown onto the path here and there.

Thanks!!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Lawn care advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 14:33 »
I've split this off into its own topic nadlen, no need to resurrect a 3 year old topic. :)

You say you're going to aerate when you get hold of a fork. Weed and feed would be good too, but water won't cause harm, unless in flood proportions....  I would expect the lawn to grow up to the edge of the paving slabs, but I can't quite tell what the grey stuff is underneath the slabs. Is it earth or concrete?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 14:41 »
Not sure why you think grass shouldn't be watered (apart from for water conservation reasons!) - perhaps the advice was meant to suggest that it's probably better not to water at all than too sparingly as the grass will become more, not less, drought resistant as a result?

Grass will always try to encroach over edging, and although I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at in your picture you seem to have got a ready-made edge to run a half-moon edging tool along and then just peel off the trimmings from the concrete to leave it nice and tidy.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Nadlen

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 14:47 »
Oh,cheers!
Yes,you are looking at the concrete. I wasn't sure if its going to look pretty if I open it up.
But if you say its how its supposed to be - thats cool!!!
Some edge doesn't have concrete underneath,maybe coz it's old...
Thank you very much! I'm going to finish the edging then.
I supposed the right order is : aerating,weed&weed,trim,watering. Or sommin like that,depends of the weather.

fatcat1955

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 16:36 »
You WILL have to water if you put weed and feed on it or you will burn the grass with the weed killer.

Nadlen

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 16:44 »
Thanks,I will do that. Still no fork found,need to drive to our allotment :(

Ok,I almost done with the edges,these 7 cm look like a big trench cause of thickness of the lawn. I even tried to shake off most of soil from roots,doesn't look impressive just now,but hopefully soon it will make a difference.  :)

By the way,can anyone answer or send me to the topic? We took small patch of lawn off and want to make a veggie bed. Soil is horrible,hard,mostly clay. How do I improve it if I only have my hands,compost bin with some ready compost at bottom ( I hope.. ) and some general fertilizer ( pack says it helps to improve soil ).
Thanks again! :tongue2:

Nadlen

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 16:51 »
Ah,well,found some tips on this site. Have : compost,bagged soil. Don't have : sand.

xx
Lawn Care

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2018, 20:58
by jezza
xx
Hellebores care - advice please

Started by Sweetpea C on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 18:09
by devonbarmygardener
xx
More Lawn Advice Please

7 Replies
Last post May 05, 2018, 18:34
by JayG
xx
More Lawn Advice please

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2019, 20:42
by jezza

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 39 queries.