Geese

• 8 Replies

boosmummy

Geese
« on: September 11, 2011, 18:34 »
Does anyone have geese? Im thinking (and only thinking at the moment, it might not happen) of getting a goose, for the plot.  I would only really like one and then the three chickens.  Now the chickens will be in there pen unless im there they will be roaming but the goose im thinking of letting free roam all day but putting it away at night in a seperate house.

Do chickens and geese live happily together will they roam happily together or do they need to be seperate all the time?

xx

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Re: Geese
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 23:12 »
I have chickens and geese and they seem fine together, though they mostly seem to ignore each other, but I think most birds and animals are better/happier with another of their own species for company, and as geese pair for life (as far as I know) it might be a bit unkind to keep one on its own.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:26 »
My neighbour has two geese (one male, one female) with his six chooks and they seem to get on okay. Occasionally the cockerel will have a bit of a feather pulling session with the gander, but that's only if the gander gets too close to his ladies. Other than that, they do seem to ignore each other pretty much.

pekinpete

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:03 »
i agree with members who keep geese with other birds, only time i keep geese seperate is breeding time when my two ganders look after their wives and goslings.when my geese free ranged one nasty gander chased wife up field which i found hilarious till he caught her .

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:18 »
i agree with members who keep geese with other birds, only time i keep geese seperate is breeding time when my two ganders look after their wives and goslings.when my geese free ranged one nasty gander chased wife up field which i found hilarious till he caught her .

Ouch! :ohmy:

boosmummy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 12:21 »

this is really what mr husband is most afraid of, and he is possibly right! hahahaha.  he doesnt want the goose/geese attacking visitors which i suppose is likely to happen.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 12:39 »
Why do you want a goose? (just being nosey!)

My neighbour has at least two and they are HUGE!  They are kept in a pen which is easily larger than a standard allotment plot, and there isn't a blade of grass to be seen.

I don't really know anything about geese, apart from a pond is required for mating!

boosmummy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:48 »
Why do you want a goose? (just being nosey!)

My neighbour has at least two and they are HUGE!  They are kept in a pen which is easily larger than a standard allotment plot, and there isn't a blade of grass to be seen.

I don't really know anything about geese, apart from a pond is required for mating!

Well the across the way on my allotment a lady has a fair few geese and they are very good at guarding, and thats the reason really. xx

pekinpete

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 13:20 »
casey76 not all geese are large, chinese are small also roman plus a few others,a lot of people think they need a pond to breed but mine have large buckets as long as they can immerse head they breed alright .i run 6geese on1/4 acre and they are alright they used to free range but since set a side stopped they are fenced in i should say they are seperated or ganders will fight,mine are chinese & roman.

xx
Geese

Started by chucky on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 21:17
by agapanthus
xx
geese when ??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 23, 2008, 21:56
by Vember
xx
geese

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 20:20
by muntjac
xx
geese where ??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 17:14
by Stree

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 39 queries.