Still having problems.....

• 16 Replies

Chuckles

Still having problems.....
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:09 »
Hi all.....

I was on a little while ago regarding my little silkie flo, she was laying soft shelled eggs and was not eating her layers pellets (she's always been a picky eater) so I thought it was due to a lack of calcuim.  After much valued advice from everyone I changed to layers mash, then to giving her mash mixed with live yoghurt and separating her from the others for some quality feeding time to herself!

At first she was enjoying the mash and yoghurt, even though she was only eating a little but over the last few days she won't touch it, yet she is still eating a liitle grass and the odd juicy worm if she finds it!  She's also eating her bread with a drop of cod liver oil on it which she has a couple of times a week....BUT....over the last day or so I have noticed her crop is quite hard (not sure how long it's been like it, it's not something I have checked - sorry!)  My hubby tried massaging it yesterday morning and it appeared to empty but the by the afternoon it was quite hard again. I was hoping that it was all food that she'd had during the day and would digest it overnight as normal - wishful thinking!....this morning it was hard again!!!!  :(

Could this be the root of her problem?  Not sure what to do...should I continue with the massaging...I don't want to be doing her any harm  :(

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: Still having problems.....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:19 »
continue massaging, but get her to the vet.

has she got enough grit?  that's what they use to digest their food.  if you can't get any in your local pet store, just fill a bowl with gritty soil and she'll find the best bits.
(ours peck around in the gravel)

Chuckles

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 13:12 »
They've got a sand pit which I originally got for dust baths but they eat most of it!!!  She's been scratting in the garden especially in the flower beds (no flowers through as yet!), do you think she'll be getting enough from that???

I'll keep massaging.....

Probably a stupid question I know, but I've never had to take a chuck to the vets....

Do I need to take her to a special poultry vet or just our usual local vet???

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 14:14 »
Chuckles it sounds like an impacted crop, maybe some grass,or even a foreign object such a string has got bound up inside, it does happen occasionally.
Have a sniff of her beak to check as well it hasn't "soured" yet, basically just means that the contents become fermented which creates bacteria, which then can track and infect the gut. If no smell then thats fine we are just dealing with an impacted crop.
Now in my experience only it is much better to simply excise the crop, empty and sew/glue the crop back up, it doesn't even need a local aneathestic as the crop is just a bag for storing food.
Give your vet a call explaining the situation and ask if there is someone there with experience in poultry that could help. Speed is important as the bird will simply starve to death.
some advise alternatively a firm massage twice a day after syringing olive oil and hopefully this breaks up the crop contents enough to pass through.

Have a read here for some more information (towards the end)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=4345.0

Good luck! :)

Chuckles

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 20:12 »
Thanks Foxy!

I've had a sniff of her beak...and thankfully no smell!  Managed to syringe a little olive oil in (was a little worried about getting it past the hole at the back of her tongue - I couldn't see it???  :( and she's had a firm massage which she seemed to enjoy...so we'll have to see what tomorrow brings - fingers crossed!

Unfortunately not much joy with our local vets, they said they don't have much experience with poultry and couldn't put me on to anyone either!  So if anyone knows of any vets who have experience with poultry in the Doncaster area I'd appreciate it....just in case!

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 20:50 »
sorry to hear if your probs with your girlie , i have to admit my vets realy dont know much at all but so far i am pretty impressed with them and with what they have told me . but if u stick to this site then u will learn so much more . i am having big troubles at the mo with a few of my girls being ill but without ppl on here wel i dont know where i would be .

am sending you an your girly a hug ***
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Chuckles

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 11:16 »
My little girlies crop was quite hard again this morning...I was so hoping it would be empty.  :(  I've given her some more olive oil this morning and firmly massaged it and it's disappeared again for now.  Keeping everything crossed...I hoping I won't have to take her to the vets, my local vet did say he would have a look at her if I was desperate but he hasn't got much experience with poulty....which is a little worrying!

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 17:05 »
Please have grit on offer to your hens 24/7.  Oyster shell should also be on offer at all times, but that is for calcium, whereas grit aids their digestion.
I lost a beautiful pullet with an impacted crop, so I wish you and your poorly girl well.
cathangirl

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 17:27 »
chuckles is she feeling quite light? can you feel her keelbone?If she is feeling thin you will need to have that crop opened before she gets weak.
Maybe just phone a few other vets, or alternatively have a hunt for an experienced breeder(look in the back of practical poultry) and ask who they would recommend.

Chuckles

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 17:54 »
They have a sand pit filled with kiln dried sand which I originally got for dust baths but they eat most of it....is this ok for digestion or should I be getting a special type of grit???

She is quite light, but always has been, we've had her about 8 months. She's  very sprightly and seems a happy little chuck wandering around the garden - she doesn't appear to be unwell.

I massaged her crop again earlier and it's not as hard as it was, felt a little squishy.  Made her some live yoghurt and mash up which she keeps tucking in to...is this a good sign???

Think I'm going to have a ring round a few vets, find out if any have experience with poultry....I don't mind travelling a little...anything for my little girly!!!

If I have no joy, I'll try the experience breeder route...thank you foxy

Chuckles

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 18:02 »
Sorry forgot to say....

Yes you can feel her keel bone, it's always been quite prominent since we got her...sorry for being a little naive but I just put it down to her size and breed - I haven't got another one like her to compare her too....my other silkie is so much different! Also she's always had very scraggly tail feathers and wings...if that means anything???  :(

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 18:37 »
when a hen is underweight the keel bone or sternum feels almost sharp. Hybrids though like exbats or young layers tend to be on the light side anyway, although the keel and pelvic bones should never feel sharp.

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 18:41 »
hey chuckles... I am in Donny area too... what vets do you use? I have to admit i have had a ring around and I had no joy at all when trying to locate one that deals with chooks... i think the nearest I was told to try was Bawtry, and then turned out that they didnt deal with poultry anymore... if you do manage to find somewhere please PM me and let me know...and I will do the same!

Chuckles

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 20:11 »
I'm going to have a ring round tomorrow (those that are open!) So I'll let you know if I have any joy!!!  Fingers crossed!!!!!

chooknewbie

• Experienced Member
  • ooo i make a good lookin Zombie...
    • Fanciful Faces
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 20:20 »
crossing mine for you too...

xx
Rat Problems

Started by Nutty on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 08:11
by Helenaj
xx
im having problems

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post June 23, 2009, 14:49
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Problems between no 3 and no 2

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 22:53
by grinling
xx
More bum problems

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 12:26
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 39 queries.