Smoothie Recipes

• 2 Replies

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
Smoothie Recipes
« on: June 03, 2013, 15:13 »
As requested by Beetroot Queen, I'm starting a thread for smoothie recipes so please everyone add to this if you like blending any particular recipes.  I personally throw whatever I have in the fridge that is ripe (or over ripe that I couldn't eat) and add in some extra ingredients to enchance the nutrients or flavour.

Example of a Protein berry smoothie:
  • 1 Banana
  • 1/2 punnet Strawberries
  • 1/2 punnet Blueberries
  • 1/2 punnet Raspberries
  • 3 tbsp natural bio yoghurt (berry flavour or vanilla are good)
  • 1 tbsp Honey
  • 1/2 bag Nuts (any type without husk are fine otherwise you get the bitter taste)
  • 1/2 bag Seed (any type)
  • 9 drops vitamin D3 (or 3xdaily dose)
  • dash of cold pressed hemp seed oil
  • top up with goats milk until all fruit is covered

The good thing with fruit smoothies are they taste great and you can play around with ingredients to find what flavours you enjoy more (or which fruit you need to use up). I would always start with a banana as a base, mix up which fruit I use but normally 3 different kinds, I use honey instead of sugar to slightly sweeten it, add nuts and seed if I need the protein, vitamins and supplements as per daily routine, then goats milk but any would work as well, whatever you prefer the taste of.  I'd have a tall glass that morning then store the remainder in two containers for the next couple days, just shake it up before you drink.

For vegetables I follow a similar recipe but replace the banana with an orange (with skin) and the milk with fruit juice.  The sharp orange taste will give it a better taste than veggies alone and fruit juice will sweeten it a bit to make it more palatable and will be less thick than with milk.

Typical veg smoothie:
  • 1 Orange (quartered)
  • 2 Carrots (cubed - quite small)
  • 3 Tomatoes (quartered)
  • 1 Aubergine (cut into chunks)
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • bunch of Herbs (any I have in abundance so usually parsley, sage or mint)
  • Supplements
  • top up with Fruit Juice until all veg is covered

Same again, I would play around with the veg ingredients and use whatever I have to hand.  Try avoiding the undigestible raw ones like brocolli though otherwise you will get some flatulence.  I've yet to make a veg smoothie that tastes great but with the orange and fruit juice they are 'drinkable'.  I'd also add some aloe vera flesh to either fruit or veg smoothies when I need a pick me up or know I'll be exercising a lot.

Feel free to try them and give me some feedback, would also love to hear some other ideas for recipes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 15:20 by Daamoot »
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Beetroot queen

Re: Smoothie Recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 15:17 »
That makes my boring recipes look awful. I don't use anything like that list.  :blush: will try some out and let you know.

Thanks for posting.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
Re: Smoothie Recipes
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 18:57 »
I got hooked on juicing and found kiwi fruit was a great base.  Also carrot and fresh ginger were a good combination with orange.

Not sure if this applies to veg smoothies but I felt quite ill (bad headaches) after 2 weeks of having a pint of veg juice a day as it is so concentrated! I wondered what the problem was but after searching on the internet found that apparently this is quite common if you over indulge!  :nowink:

xx
smoothie maker

Started by flowergirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 19:28
by kaz
xx
Recipes

Started by Val H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2008, 21:31
by Beetroot queen
xx
can not see recipes

Started by kevinp on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 08:54
by joyfull
smiley
recipes

Started by phil-c on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 18:17
by phil-c

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 38 queries.