Planted dwarf Cherry with graft below soil level

• 6 Replies

simpson-allen

Planted dwarf Cherry with graft below soil level
« on: January 29, 2015, 18:26 »
by mistake and explains why after just one season in the ground it's already as high as it should've been when fully grown on the dwarf root stock!!!

Question is, if I bring the soil level to just below the graft, which is of course where it should've been in the first place, can I sever the main roots that have sprung from the non-dwarf trunk above the graft and still stand  a reasonable chance of saving the tree? Many thanks as ever in advance of your knowledgeable responses.

adri123

• Experienced Member
Re: Planted dwarf Cherry with graft below soil level
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 20:54 »
I'd say yes it should be fine.  But I might be wrong....:-)

sion01

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 21:06 »
It depends a lot if all or most of the roots are coming from the non dwarf trunk? If they are you stand a chance of weakening  the tree a lot.But if you don't want a 15-20 ft tree its your only option.Remember that you shouldn't prune cherry's and plumbs now but in June-July

simpson-allen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 10:17 »
Well it came with the dwarf roots originally so unless they've withered away in favour of the full grown ones now taking charge, then there should be some left. No I didn't know about pruning in July and have already clipped back last years growth by about two thirds. Has me doing that gotten rid of this years blossom and fruit then? Should I wait till then to saw off the main trunk roots or can I do that now?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:36 »
I'd prune the roots that are growing from above the graft now - it'll give the tree a chance to start growing some new ones lower down, before the tree puts on leaf. Make sure that no new roots grow from above the graft.

It's probably a good job that you did a bit of top pruning it will balance up the loss of roots.
Whether you get any blossom/fruit will depend if there are any fruit buds left on the pruned branches.

Make sure you keep the tree watered if we do get any dry weather, until it has grown its new roots.

simpson-allen

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 12:12 »
Ta very much. Will do mum. Many thanks as ever to one and all. Brilliant site!!!

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 18:48 »
i'm new to this fruit growing malarkey but from what i've read you should prune stoned fruit in late spring to try and limit the chance of disease. all you can do is hope the early pruning does let any disease in, nothing you can do about it now anyway.

all i would suggest is that you look at the rhs web site about pruning fruit. best and most knowledgeable site i've found so far.

xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd
xx
above soil level beds

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2017, 20:50
by jambop
xx
Soil level in squash bed

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2018, 14:02
by compostqueen
xx
dwarf cherry

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 13:03
by sion01

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 40 queries.