Brandywine so bland

• 8 Replies

missmoneypenny

Brandywine so bland
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:15 »
Thought I’d try brandywine this year and I am disappointed. Also generally disappointed at flavour of tomatoes generally. A bit surprising given the lashings of sunshine this summer. Anyone else found the same?
Will be doing Black Russian, Ferline  and roma( for sauces) next year.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Brandywine so bland
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 18:35 »
I do wonder whether the amount of watering needed this summer affected the flavour of the tomatoes (diluted it, if you will).

If all of your tomatoes were poorly flavoured compared to other years, it's perhaps a little early to single brandywine out particularly.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 20:10 »
"I do wonder whether the amount of watering needed this summer affected the flavour of the tomatoes (diluted it, if you will)."

That's a very good observation, Yorkie.

Our greenhouse toms (Sungold, Scotland Yellow, Shirley and G. Delight), haven't been a patch on the outdoor ones.

Because greenhouse toms get noticed less than outside ones in growbags (well, here they are), the watering regime is different, mainly becuase one notices the 'droopers' while strolling by, whereas in the GH, they suddenly yelp for water when you least expect them to!

Watering before picking does reduce the flavur in toms, (surprisingly, quite a lot), but this year has been so odd that anything could have happened up to now, when we have an absolute avalanche of toms everywhere, and we're getting fed up with them!

We water from toms in trays as well as above (yeah, I know the feeding roots don't 'do' this sort of thing), but when there's a whole garden to spray, one says 'oh heck', and does it anyway...

Never known a year like it!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 00:20 »
I only did toms in the polytunnel. I had really mixed results.

Sungold - Magnificent, tasty and plenty of fruit
Moneymaker - Productive but slow to ripen and a lot less tasty than last year. Thicker flesh than normal though and used for sauce as well as salads and sandwiches.
Yellow Delight - First time grown, nearly as sweet as Sungold, tons of fruit and still producing now.
Red Pear - Tons of fruit, quick to ripen but tasteless. Added to the sauce cooking.
Red Cherry - Tangy, lots of fruit, a good partner to the sweeter toms.
San Marzano Plum - Double the fruit of last year but very slow to ripen. Very thick flesh and no seeds at all, last years had a few seeds. Slightly less flavour than last year too.
Marmande - Again double or even treble the crop from last year but so slow to ripen. The plants are covered in fat green toms and we've only picked 4 or 5 so far this year.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 22:51 »
Thanks everyone. It’s the first year I’ve done brandywine and I kind of fell for the “ Amish heirloom” hype and was a little disappointed. I don’t over water and while I was away at the hottest of the summer my cousin only managed to water once. All my toms are a little, but appreciably less flavourful than last year. I just wonder whether a lot of sun is actually bad for flavour rather than good.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 15:52 »

Good afternoon Yorkie, I think I've found the same with the flavour.  I think 'Big boy' is a bit better.
By all means grow Roma for pasta but the best I think is San Marzano.

Cheers,  Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 19:23 »
My observations match everone elses, grew San Marz, Super Marmandes, Roma and Moneymaker. All have been as expected flavourwise, but  boy are they taking ages to ripen...

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 16:26 »
I am not convinced that Brandy Wine ever was a particular tasty Tomato. The name leads you to expect something more than is actually there.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 18:44 »
DD gave me some seeds for 'Scotland Yellow' and baaaah gooom, they've done the business this year!

Fabulous tom, great flavour, coming later than the others and well formed and very happy in every situation (GH, outside, The Patch, and growbags)!

Well worth a look at, and I must save some seeds for next year - they're marvellous!

xx
BrandyWine Tom grow-off

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 10:39
by DD.
xx
Brandywine challenger.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 26, 2018, 10:25
by Kleftiwallah
clip
Curious line on a Brandywine.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 26, 2023, 12:49
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Yellow Brandywine Tomatoes

Started by GrannieAnnie on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 22:31
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 47 queries.