Bullying

• 5 Replies

bcmtngrl

Bullying
« on: May 23, 2006, 23:27 »
Hi there,
My husband and I bought 25 layer chicks about 7 months ago. They have been producing eggs since about 4 months old. Lately though I have noticed one hen that stays on the eggs, she will not come out unless I bring her out, and when I bring her out into the pen or our back yard, all of the other hens pick on her. Why is this and is there anything I can do? Right now I bring her out and sit with her while she eats her treats and gets some sun. Her comb is not bright like the others, could this be lack of sunshine? Thanks any info would be greatly appreciated. We are new to this and we have just purchased 50 more chicks to add to the group.

Tanja

green.goddess

Bullying
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:52 »
Sounds like she might be broody? Hybrids have usually had this bred out of them, but there are always exceptions that prove the rule. It sounds like you are taking good care of her though, so I would just carry on doing what you are doing to make sure she can eat and drink without being bullied. The others probably have no idea whats wrong with her and thinking she is ill, may well peck her to death. Chickens are cannibals so keep an eye on things!

bcmtngrl

?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 16:01 »
Thanks for the response, excuse my ignorance, what is broody and how is it bred out? The whole flock came together to us when they where 2 days old.
Thanks!

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Bullying
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 21:04 »
broody = in season???? i aint got chicks so mayb wrong lol and also dont know the terms u use for chicks (in season is for female dogs lol)
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bullying
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 22:14 »
I think when hens go broody it means they start sitting on eggs to hatch them. Unless there's a cock in the house the eggs are infertile so it's a bit pointless.
A broody hen can be useful if you're breeding as she can sit on a whole clutch of eggs,

There's a really good article on it  at  Broad Leys Publishing
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

edines33

Bullying
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 23:43 »
yep deff sounds broody!! if its not what you want then try w very wet sponge on the nest! it workd on my brrdy hen (also named broody)

all the best

Emma

sad
bullying

Started by shez on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 11, 2010, 12:34
by too many girls
question
bullying

Started by Tricky on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 12:53
by joyfull
question
Hen bullying?

Started by BlackRockLovers on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:44
by Pretty Chick
xx
Bullying .............. Why?

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 19:52
by SurreyLass

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.