Clipping of wings

• 7 Replies

Jonsue

Clipping of wings
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:59 »
Can anyone let me know as to when I have to clip the wings of ducks and chickens?

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Clipping of wings
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 13:01 »
Do you need to clip them?

Jonsue

Clipping of wings
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 13:10 »
I understood that if you don't clip them they can fly away?

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Clipping of wings
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 13:23 »
Not sure about ducks but chickens will fly over a fence depending on thier size and how high the fence is of course.
We have a 4ft fence around our garden and when we first got our girls their wings had been clipped but there wasn't a need to do that really as I learnt later on because they were all large fowl and would find it difficult to launch themselves from the ground and over the fence but you don't know these things at first you learn as you go along.

We do have a cream legbar who use to get onto the fence and wonder off to the neighbours so we had to clip her wing but she could still do it..........
She was very funny when she got up there because it looked like she was wearing stiletto heels and swinging her handbag we would call her and she would totter back home
 :lol:

Vember

Clipping of wings
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 13:38 »
I did my ducks as soon as the little monkies started running up & down the garden and jumping  :lol:  

Basically when the flight feathers are grown :)

Bodger

Clipping of wings
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 13:43 »
Most breeds of domesticated ducks, can't fly to save their lives. I've never had to clip the wings of any of my ducks. Muscovey females are one of the exceptions.

From experience, Runners, Campbells, Aylseburys and all the heavy breeds can hardly get off the ground.

Lost in France

• Experienced Member
Clipping of wings
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 13:57 »
I have a couple of bantams that fly very well. I used to clip their wings each year, but think it makes them look aweful! They fly up onto the henhouse and one flew out from the ground, following the peacock once but she was quite surprised to find herself somewhere strange...I just opened the gate and she wandered back in and has never one it again since!

Whilst I hope they don't catch me out, I prefer to leave them intact! If you do clip, only do one wing as it unbalances them.

Good luck!
Judi :wink:

Porffor

Clipping of wings
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 14:13 »
I asked about this when we got our girls, as wasn't 100% sure we wanted to net over the run, but hubby didn't like the idea of clipping the wings. I know now that it doesn't hurt, but we have left them intact. :)

after they're homed well i've been told they'll come home, but we have houses on either side of us and can't take the chance! lol

To clip i've been told one wing also and the first 4 feathers. :) not actually done it though so don't hold me to that though! :lol:

xx
clipping wings

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 20:05
by Bodger
question
Should I think about clipping their wings?

Started by RobH on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 05, 2009, 08:26
by peter o
xx
Clipping their wings

Started by mickthepieman on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2011, 12:36
by kimmcb
xx
clipping wings - yes or no

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 20:45
by joyfull

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 39 queries.