what next ....

• 3 Replies

ally

• Experienced Member
what next ....
« on: April 08, 2014, 07:20 »
Hello all,
This year I've decided to grow more flowers from seed, I have started with carnations, aster, alyssum & hypoestes. I started them in a seed tray, most have germinated and they have 2/3 true leaves. They are on a south facing windowsil. What now? I could do with the space on the windowsil can I harden them off to take up residence in my unheated greenhouse? When will they require their own pot or can they stay in the tray til the risk of frost has gone and can be planted out, (I know that at least another 8 weeks) cheers ally
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Goosegirl

Re: what next ....
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:44 »
Crumbs - that's a difficult one because none of us knows if we will get a late frost or not, plus even south-facing windowsills don't give enough light to stop them growing leggy unless you have bacofoil behind them. I tend to leave my flower seedlings in trays until their leaves bush out just enough so you can't see the bare soil between them, then I pot on individually. If you do this, put them outside during the day then bring in at night. Can you get or make a two- or three-tiered windowsill shelf to help with room for more seedlings?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 14:16 »
Excellant ill put them outside in a sunny non windy spot temperature permitting and bring them in at dusk ... Started doing this with tomatoes but not outside they enjoy the greenhouse during the day and come in at night ... Alarm set on mobile so I won't forget them. They do have foil behind them on the sil at moment but as were doing the outdoor indoor dance now I can use the space for more seeds to germinate :D
So ok in tray til nice and bushy ... Good

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 11:36 »
Just don't let them get too bushy or you might risk losing some due to lack of air flow.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.