Introducing new chickens

• 9 Replies

mambo

Introducing new chickens
« on: August 04, 2007, 19:36 »
Hi All,
Brand new to the forum and this is my very first posting.
Eight weeks ago we were sucessful in hatching two of my friends free-range eggs and now have Itchy and Scratchy, who are growing fast and doing well. They are definitely the heinz 57 of the chicken world! My friend has 4 chickens, which are hybrids but have some Rhode Island Red in them and are very good egg layers. Her cockerel was inherited from a neighbour and his heritage is completely unknown. Interestingly, Itchy has the red brown colouring of the hens and cockerel but Scratchy is almost pure white and much smaller than Itchy ( I think they are both hens, but could be proven wrong). I would like to introduce two pullets to my coup but not sure at what is the best age to do this. Can anyone help?

muntjac

Introducing new chickens
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 19:39 »
if your birds are younguns dont worry just put them in together. you will know about 16 weeks which are cockerals when they crow .some may start earlier eat the cockerals as pousson
still alive /............

KathyH

• Experienced Member
Introducing new chickens
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 19:42 »
LOVE their names  :D
Kathy H

mambo

Thanks for quick response-another couple of questions
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 20:03 »
Thanks for the very quick response muntjac (glad you like the names Kathy!). Any suggestions for breeds/hybrids that are both friendly and good egg layers?

Also interestingly, both Itchy and Scratchy have 5 toes on each foot (their parents have 'normal feet'). I've been told that even though they are smooth feathered they might have some silkie in them, do you think that might be the case or are there any other breeds with 5 toes? Don't know anything about chicken genetics but could this also account for Scratchy's white colouring?

muntjac

Introducing new chickens
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 20:13 »
they are just mongrels so fear not ,,,,,,,,,, erm breeds . now welsummers and buff orpington bantams .or am i being a little biest here :lol:

KathyH

• Experienced Member
Introducing new chickens
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 20:30 »
We have just got ourselves 1 Black Rock , 1 Speckledy and 1 Bovan Goldline. All hybrid layers and so far all very friendly. the Speckledy is the shyest and the Goldline the boldest.
They are supposed to be big layers averaging 300+ per year each. No eggs yet but they are only 18 -  20 weeks.

Have you any pics to share yet?

mambo

Introducing new chickens
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 20:40 »
Thanks for the advice folks.

Expecting a nice new coup and run to arrive next week, so will photo Itchy and Scratchy in their new des-resi and post pics. This is assuming that number one son and I can put it all together. It's arriving flat pack and I'm assured it's simple to errect-which is just as well as DIY is not my strong point! But thankfully the lad is much better at this sort of thing than his mother so we should be OK.

SOURIS

Introducing new chickens
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 18:25 »
Welcome to the forum!

Dorkings have 5 toes.

I cannot recommend enough either Speckled Sussex, if you are after a pure breed, or a Sussex mix if you are after a hybrid. We have the most adorable Light Sussex-Rhode Island Red mix hen - she has laid an egg every single day (bar about 2) since she started laying in May and is so utterly friendly and cuddly that we refer to her as a "lap hen" ... she is quite happy to be scooped up and carried around the garden and is very calm with children picking her up and going after her to stroke her etc. Unfortunately I am not sure of the name of the mix - but I think she would tick all the boxes. She is a beautiful ginger colour with blonde hackles and a white tail. Our other hen is a Bovan Nera - she is stunning and a good layer but is not quite so tame. She is very tame as chickens go but doesn't like to be picked up and isn't quite so good with kids. Sussex can be relied on to be friendly, slow and a bit silly! Make sure you pick them up every day so that they become tame.

KathyH

• Experienced Member
Introducing new chickens
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 19:08 »
The Rhode Island Red and Light Sussex mix is called a Bovans Goldline.

We have one! We call her "Henna" (the ginger hen!!)
She is the boldest and friendliest of out trio and is always the first to try things. She is the first out of the coop in the morning and the last one in!

mambo

Introducing new chickens
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 07:31 »
Thanks both for your recommendations,

I'll certainly have a look at all the breeds you mentioned. I was hoping to attend the poultry day at the local Moorgreen Country show at the end of August as they show many breeds and often have chickens for sale, but this may well be cancelled because of the current Foot and Mouth outbreak. Does anyone know of chicken suppliers in the Nottinghamshire/Derby areas?

xx
Introducing new Chickens

Started by RobH on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:26
by beulah59
xx
Introducing Chickens

Started by Daemo on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 17:02
by kimT
xx
Introducing chickens to each other

Started by R_A_W on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 02, 2011, 06:42
by sneezer
xx
introducing new chickens

Started by buggy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2006, 09:53
by buggy

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 38 queries.