how do I know my heated propagator is working?

• 19 Replies

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
how do I know my heated propagator is working?
« on: February 09, 2011, 19:16 »
Impatient germinator needs help!!

I have an h.p. It has a lid and a thermostat and a light that says its taking a charge and there is moisture on the inside of the lid, but there's moisture in a propagator ANYWAY.  I feel gentle heat on the bottom which is covered in compost as per instructions.

My seed trays with sweet pepper, chilli, tomatilla and okra-why not?- sit on the compost under the lid

But is it working properly?, I ask myself as I  poke my finger into a cell of slightly ever so slightly clammy soil and vermilite which shows NO SIGNS OF LIFE after two weeks with seed in it and the light on and everything.

Is the heat side of the propagator that obvious. Like if I take the lid off am I supposed to feel a waft of something like when you pull down the oven door or open the microwave?

Instructions say 1) Its working when the light comes on. The light is on.

2) Put some soil/compost on the bottom. Done that.

3) Fiddle about with the vents to get the right temperature. Okay but there won't be any temp if it's bust.

4) Buy a soil thermometer to test the soil temperature.   MORE MONEY?

What is supposed to happen???

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: how do I know my heated propagator is working?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 19:21 »
You know what?

Polythene bags don't give me that hassle. 5 days to germinate tomatoes.  ;)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 19:46 »
I suppose it is possible that the light comes on, but there is no heat?

My propagator has no light, and no thermostat, and uses such a small number of Watts that you do wonder!

I used to use the bags-over-pots method (which is fine), and if I put the back of my hand on the propagator base I can ONLY JUST feel some warmth ... but ... I reckon I get better results than when I just used bags-over-pots, and I like the little rectangular trays and their clear plastic lids :)

I reckon it provides a nice gentle heat, and warms the soil in the mini-trays, and it is warm soil, more than warm air, that makes all the difference to seedlings.

japagow

• Experienced Member
  • A yard a day.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 19:57 »
DD: I hate you for implying I might have WASTED MONEY on something that the good Lord above and some clingfilm would have done just as well if not better   :)

Nevertheless, DD I shall soldier on and prove to you that SPENDING LOADS OF DOSH solves every gardening problem known to mankind.

Kristen: Thank you. You sound like a gentle green-fingered sensible soul and I feel better knowing you too have SPENT MONEY  on a heated propagator.

If your bottom is gently warm like mine then I feel that something good will come out of this.
Do you put compost in? Can you feel heat wafting out when you open the lid? Am I impatient?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 19:58 by japagow »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 20:13 »
Kristen: ... I feel better knowing you too have SPENT MONEY  on a heated propagator.

No, you misunderstand, I have TWO of them :D

If your bottom is gently warm like mine then I feel that something good will come out of this.
Do you put compost in? Can you feel heat wafting out when you open the lid?

Mine has little 1/4 size seed trays that you put ON the warm propagator base (piccie attached).

Am I impatient?

Relative to what? :D

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 20:17 »
persactly the same as mine Kristen  :D I think it works brilliantly  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 22:13 »
You say it's got a thermostat which would imply you can control the temperature. If so, what temp have you set it at?

I have several heated props and the work just fine and I wouldn't be without mine. They can be used with or without lids and they're trouble free so long as you don't try and germinate seeds that require  cool conditions to germinate. Sounds obvious but you could easily "cook" your seeds  :D

You only get a gentle bottom heat with these props and you can just feel the warmth when you lay the flat of your hand on it (without the compost in)  So there's no escape of heat as you lift the lid off.  Did you sow in cold compost?  It needs to be at room temp.  Once I've sown my seeds as per packet instructions I stand the seed tray etc into a shallow dish of water so it take can take up water and remove it when the top shows the water being absorbed. Remove from the tray and allow to drain for a bit before putting into the prop  :)  You don't want your seedlings to be waterlogged, and especially not in cold compost

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 11:35 »
with regards to chili and sweet pepper - they can take up to three weeks plus to get going (well, mine did last year anyway!!)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 13:13 »
Patience is a virtue as they say!

Sweet Pea 2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 14:19 »
Isn't it a bit early to be setting off Chillis and peppers :unsure:  I have ordered my heated propogator, and I am impatiently awaiting it's arrival. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 14:47 »
some chilli and sweet peppers are really slow to germinate and grow.
 If you have enough indoor space to raise them then now is a good time to start them.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 15:06 »
Sowed mine today.

Now cosy in their plaggy bags.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 15:48 »
just for info - I started mine on Feb 27th last year, and had loads of Cayennes from early June until November.

GreenOwl

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 16:56 »
OK, I don't have a heated propagator but my sil does and she says you are supposed to put the damp compost in and let it warm up for 24 hours before you sow any seeds.  She said it really helped with germination.

Junie

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 20:41 »
I have 3 heated propagators, two with separate little compartments and one which you put the compost into a large seed bed thingy.  None have thermostats, but I did go for a soil thermometer, the temperature rises well and stays pretty constant despite the vast range of temperature in the rooms.

I have no windowsills and my house is quite dark during the winter, and the temperature ranges from 20 degrees down to 10 between night and day, another room stays about 12-15 degrees!  A propagator was necessary! I don't have a greenhouse as we live on the side of a hill and it gets rather blowy!!!
My only comment is that, seeds can take a while to germinate, but also how old are the seeds?  If new it may be worth getting n touch with the company to see what they think the germination time should be.

xx
Is my propagator working ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 10:26
by Bombers
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 07, 2018, 18:16
by DD.
question
New to heated propagator

Started by Spookess on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2022, 21:10
by Yorkie
xx
Heated Propagator

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 24, 2008, 00:16
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 40 queries.