manure and lime

• 3 Replies

leftydrum

manure and lime
« on: November 16, 2012, 16:25 »
I have a problem that i can't find the exact answer too anywhere.

Before i ask the question let me set the scene -

I have an allotment with clay soil and a pH of about 6, so it needs a little lime. As it is clay it also needs plenty of manure. In a perfect world, i would manure now and then lime in early spring, a few weeks before planting leaving 4-5 months between the two.
The problem is, i have ordered a huge load of cow manure thinking it was fairly fresh and would need to rot down for 4-5 months. So i planned to manure in the early spring, and have limed now, BUT the manure turned up and the farmer told me it has been sat in a pile for 12 months, so now i want to get it laid on the plot ASAP.

So my question -  What is the minimum time you can allow between liming and manure without causing a reaction? (i've been told about 6 weeks from a guy who hasn't actually ever done it!!)

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: manure and lime
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 16:42 »
The science of it is that the lime reacts with the nitrogen compounds in the manure causing the release of ammonia, which is a gas so is lost to the air and therefore your soil.

I have also read that because ammonia is also highly soluble in water, if the reaction takes place in the soil the ammonia is captured by the soil water and subsequently recycled back into nitrates.

On that basis, spreading the lime on top of the manure would be the worst plan, manure on top of the lime should minimise the problem, and digging them both into the soil the best.
I'm not desperate to go against the conventional wisdom on the subject so I'll let you decide!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 17:43 »
Succinctly explained there JayG  :D

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 18:49 »
Thanks for the question leftydrum and subsiquent answer from JayG - I'm in the exact same position but with values from 5 to 6...

Now I'm happy with lime then manure then dig!!
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

xx
lime and manure

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 10:05
by strangerachael
xx
Manure and lime

Started by Jim T on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 19:12
by WG.
xx
manure and lime

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 15:35
by Kajazy
xx
Manure or lime

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2017, 11:44
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 36 queries.