scaley leg

• 13 Replies

Madrat

• Experienced Member
scaley leg
« on: July 03, 2013, 19:31 »
Just noticed my cuckoo leghorn has a very scaly right ankle.  Now I remember reading that this is caused by a mite and having scrubbed and dusted the coup on Sunday I'm wondering where they have come from?  Anyway after I caught her I dunked her feet in warm soapy water for 5 mins, she seamed to like that, and then smothered her foot and leg with germolene containing local anaesthetic.  Now should I do this again for the next few days or should I switch to petroleum jelly?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: scaley leg
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 19:51 »
Wild birds can have them so they are easily caught.  Vaseline is a good treatment as it suffocates them but you have to be persistent as you will have to kill the mites and then any eggs that hatch.  The legs will still look bad until the bird molts next so it is sometimes hard to know if the treatment has worked.  One of my birds got them and I treated it with Frontline which was prescribed by my vet.  I know it worked as she has stopped pecking at her legs.  Just waiting for her to molt now.   ::)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 22:37 »
I will dig out the petroleum jelly, trouble is we go away for 2 weeks on Sat, don't think my son will be able to catch her on his own.  If I treat it until Sat and then leave it for 2 weeks is it likely to cause any problems?

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 08:16 »
If it is not fully treated there is more chance your other hens will get them. 

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 13:01 »
Put some vegetable oil in a squirter/water pistol. Get your son to wait until they're all going to bed and then give them a good squirt.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 16:28 »
Why dose these things always happen when you are going away??

We are going to have a mass chicken leg washing and greasing today.  Son is going to try and do it every night before they are locked up,  she should be easy to catch then

Thanks for the help.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 20:21 »
I'm sure he will manage, hope you have a good holiday.

My bantam has started to lose her damaged scales today and I am now going to bathe her legs every two days and apply Vaseline to soften them up.  It must be so irritating for them.   :(

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 20:56 »
 :(

I feel like such a neglectful owner, checked all the girls today and my buff Orpington legs are terrible.  Her body feathers completely cover most of her feet and all her legs. You just cant see them.  Treated all the girls and son is going to dunk the Orpington and Leghorn's legs & feet in a bowl of vegetable oil every night.

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 21:43 »
Be careful with vegetable oil not to get too much on the feathers as the hens will have a hard time trying to preen themselves.  One member used a jam jar with the oil in to dip the legs in.  Probably best to wrap the hen in a towel first so less will go on the feathers. 

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 22:24 »
excellent idea, I just happen to have loads or empty jam jars.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 21:31 »
 :D

Well after 2 weeks of oil dunking, the girls legs look great, just 1 or 2 raised scales on the buff orpington and a slight swelling on the cuckoo leghorn.  how long do I carry on with the treatment? 

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 22:22 »
That is great news.  I'm not sure how long the treatment needs to be, the mites will probably be dead but I don't know how long their eggs take to hatch.  Hopefully someone else will have more advice for you.   :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01 »
they should be dead by now - although the scales may still look raised. Do not attempt to pull the raised scales off but wait until they moult.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 15:11 »
I will treat them for the rest of the week and then stop and keep an eye on them.  Thanks everyone.

question
Scaley Leg

Started by Bev on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post January 03, 2014, 15:14
by Bev
xx
Scaley Leg!!!

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 11:47
by hillfooter
xx
Scaley leg

Started by Marrianne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 03:46
by Tony H
xx
scaley leg

Started by melody on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 09:35
by Tony H

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 39 queries.