Surprise Stars of the Season

• 26 Replies

Nobbie

Re: Surprise Stars of the Season
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 09:32 »
I had three Butternut squashes, that I planted out and they barely grew throughout the hot spell despite watering. I'd given up on them, but then they suddenly went mad and now I have loads of massive squashes🙂.

Perpetual strawbs from Lidl that I planted two to a pot in April and gave a great first flush of big fruit and are now giving a second big crop of smaller fruit which is a lovely late season bonus. Looks like feeding them works!

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 11:44 »
'Cherokee trail of tears' black beans - marvellous!

I've been pondering them for next year .... you might have persuaded me!

PM me if you want any seeds, Madcat!

A chum here gave me some and now half the village knows about them! They're fabulous!

Grubbypaws

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 14:26 »
Xenia gooseberry; wow delicious!

I lost the battle with sawfly last year so didn’t get much of a crop. This year no sawfly and lots of gorgeous gooseberries that went into all our salads in place of grapes.

Not sure if the lack of sawfly was related to the weather or the fact that I under planted the gooseberries with garlic to disguise their smell.

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 08:12 »
'Cherokee trail of tears' black beans - marvellous!

I've been pondering them for next year .... you might have persuaded me!

May I be cheeky & ask if you have enough to send me a few please😊 just looked them up & they sound very interesting.

PM me if you want any seeds, Madcat!

A chum here gave me some and now half the village knows about them! They're fabulous!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AnneB

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 12:21 »
Mulatka beetroot has been excellent.  All the brassicas have been fantastic, especially Kelper Gigantic swede, which lived up to its name and wasn't woody.  Had some fantastic beans, I especially liked Kentucky Wonder Wax, a climbing yellow french bean that I got from a seed circle.  Will definitely be saving seed from it.  It was very productive and tasty and not stringy even when large.

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39 »
I tried Outdoor Girl  tomato this year. Wow what a crop. They aren't a particularly tasty fruit, but great for chutney. I've already saved about hundred seeds .
Next big success for me would be carrots grown in pots. My little nephew said they tasted like the best carrots in the world .... and I think he was probably right  ;)  :tongue2:  :D

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 18:31 »
Xenia gooseberry; wow delicious!

I lost the battle with sawfly last year so didn’t get much of a crop. This year no sawfly and lots of gorgeous gooseberries that went into all our salads in place of grapes.

Not sure if the lack of sawfly was related to the weather or the fact that I under planted the gooseberries with garlic to disguise their smell.

They're a fabulous fruit, Grubbypaws.

Do you know if the cuttings I have made from our singleton will come true?

We just love them, but as we're leaving our allotment, we want to take some with us for future gatherings!

Ema

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 17:20 »
lovely to hear so many successes!!

amazing squashes JayG!

At home I had a brilliant crop of blackcurrants at the beginning on July - Big Bens - I think the horse manure the previous spring had finally kicked in. Unfortunately I didnt have time to eat many, pick them all or to make jam so I gave them all away.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 09:15 »
At home I had a brilliant crop of blackcurrants at the beginning on July - Big Bens - I think the horse manure the previous spring had finally kicked in. Unfortunately I didnt have time to eat many, pick them all or to make jam so I gave them all away.

We also had a very healthy crop of Big Bens which we put straight in the freezer. Last night my husband served up duck breasts with blackcurrent sauce; blackcurrents cooked from frozen. Wow! I am never going to use my blackcurrents for anything else now  :D :D :D

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2018, 18:46 »
TBH, everything has been good this year apart from a few things that I thought I would chance 'old seed' from and they have failed miserably. (butternut squash/pumkin/sprouts), even though they germinated the yield is really poor.....I will learn from this mistake :D

my sweetcorn was new seed and although amazing taste and quality, it did have a low yield (only one cob per plant rather than the usual two, Lark).  although it did start off slow due to the cold spring.

all in all, its been a good year, albeit a reduced crop for me as i was busy doing otherthings and the slow start to the season.

cant complain.

oldgrunge

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 19:00 »
Courgette Atena has done extremely well, All Green Bush not so well. Oddly enough it was the other way round last year!
Peas Greenshaft.
Sweet peppers, best year ever, all from saved supermarket seeds.
Cucumbers inside and out done very well.
Most other things have had an average year. Garlic was so so ( Again! ) and Florence Fennel was a no show for the second year running.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

al78

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 22:33 »
Little Gem squash. I started growing this when one of my bridge partners said she really liked them (she has lived in South Africa where they are very popular), but they can be difficult to get hold of and are expensive. For the first few years, they were very mediocre in cropping, only getting one or two a week throughout the summer. This year, a Mediterranean-like summer arrived in early May and they went rampant. All I had to do was water them occasionally and I have been rewarded with not far off a hundred of them in total this year. My bridge partner has received so many of them she has had to give some to her daughter, even she can't eat 22 of them in one week.

xx
Odd one....Next season seeds from this season crops

Started by Thamesmeadhammer on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2009, 18:21
by zazen999
xx
surprise surprise!

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 21:47
by 1st time veg grower
xx
Surprise PSB

Started by tosca100 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 09, 2013, 08:15
by Grubbypaws
xx
Celeriac surprise

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2016, 18:16
by New shoot

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 51 queries.