70 page booklet binder.

• 11 Replies

Goosegirl

70 page booklet binder.
« on: August 15, 2018, 14:15 »
I wrote a booklet that I print out and use a slide-on spine bar but would prefer to have one of those plastic coil jobbies because it's a sod to put on without moving the pages out of alignment. Does anyone have any recommendations that doesn't cost the earth?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: 70 page booklet binder.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 17:02 »
Been looking for one myself.  Let me know if you find one please.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 20:31 »
Have you considered making a pad out of it with PVA glue?

It would need a card back like you get on standard school writing paper pads and possibly a thin fabric strip to reinforce the spine. Clamp the booklet between two boards (using either metal clamps or those sprung rubber tipped ones), make sure it is squared off. Apply a thin layer of ordinary PVA to the spine, spreading evenly with a finger. Allow to dry completely. Release the clamps, put on the fabric strip, overlapping at the edges and re-clamp between the boards. Apply a second coat of PVA to the spine, soaking the fabric strip. Allow to dry thoroughly. Release the clamps and PVA down the edges of the fabric to the front and back covers. I don't think you can re-clamp it to dry here as it will simply stick to the boards but you may be able to do something with plastic wrap. Perhaps check Google?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 13:34 »
Sometimes in craft work I use bookbinders glue.  If you are compiling a booklet, as Daniel suggested, it might be worth a consideration.  Good luck,   Mrs Bouquet

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 13:44 »
I used to use one of those machines that makes a stack of papers into a booklet with, not a complete coil style spine, but the plastic ones that sort of snap into place (not a ring binder - example image attached).

You could talk to a stationers/printers to ask if they could bind it together for you. I know of a couple of places in Durham that do it because the students get their dissertations and theses bound that way.
Plastic-Comb-Bind_1200x.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 14:37 »
Do you know what that type of machine was called?

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 19:22 »
No idea what it's official name would be but if you ask for dissertation binding they should be able to give you options

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 19:35 »
You're probably after a comb binder - last time I used one it was a Rexel ... but it's been a few years ! They take a little getting used to.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 15:06 »
Thanks Lardman. I saw a Rexel when I was Goggling it but it may be easier if I can find some place in town to do it for me. My booklet is an updated history of Cockersand Abbey so the subject has a niche market and am told it would be rather expensive to get it published. I fund and print them out myself with a cover page and use a spine bar to hold them together then sell them to visitors at £5 per copy when the Abbey Chapter House is opened during the second weekend in September. All the proceeds go towards maintaining and improving the various display areas inside. I just want it to look a bit more professional because I've put a lot of work into it and its had many good reviews. If anyone wants to read it, just email me and I'll email you back and attach the front page and the latest edition, but no money is necessary as I just want to help in promoting its importance in our history.

madcat

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 18:53 »
If you find a local stationary shop or printer to do it, they might do it gratis for the Abbey, in return for a logo on the back page.  They write it off as a charitable donation and everyone's a winner.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

grinling

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 22:00 »
Viking does a binder for £29.
Have you looked at Pin interest for different binding methods?

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 13:24 »
Thanks grinling but I've just taken madcat's advice and emailed a local printer so I'll see what they have to say.

xx
How to reference at doc I wrote in my booklet.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post February 25, 2019, 16:32
by Goosegirl
xx
How do I keep going down the page ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2021, 12:23
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 50 queries.