Onion White Rot

• 2 Replies

Brewers

Onion White Rot
« on: June 07, 2011, 12:02 »
Went off to check my onion bed last night. I've been happily cooing that this lot are the best I've grown in the four years I've had my plot.

I'd noticed a few wilted leaves over the last few weeks but put that down to weather. Decided to pull up the few that were not really performing and I find out why...covered in cotton-wool like fungus. I am soooo annoyed/upset/confused.....

So, I'm preparing to pull the lot up. :(

Done a bit of reading up on treatment and some people on here have recommended Armillatox, RHS recommend leaving the ground for 8 years. I notice that the sclerotia don't survice temps of >20 degrees, I was wondering whether I could burn the area as a treatment. Then rotate the bed over a couple of years with a view to replanting in year 3.

Anyone any experience of either Armillatox or trying to burn it out?

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 13:01 by Brewers »

bigben

Re: Onion White Rot
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 14:14 »
I posted something similar last night http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=78428.0
I was like you but looking at some really nice garlic. I had winter onions alongside it and some started to yellow and fall over so I lifted them - found about a third had white rot. I then lifted a few garlic and found some of these were similar.

I am going to lift the lot in the next few days and then use the garlic powder route suggested in the thread. The problem with Armillatox is that it is not licenced to be used in this way to treat soil but rather as a hard surface clearner for paths or patios etc.  I also dont really like the idea of soaking my soil in chemicals anyway. I have read on other sites that people found it even effected the taste of the onions grown on treated soil.

The burning suggestion will be hard to do for a whole bed to the depth the spores are likely to be living.

Good luck with whatever you decide to try.

Brewers

Re: Onion White Rot
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 14:55 »
cheers big ben......

sad
Onion white rot.

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2011, 22:29
by peapod
xx
White onion rot help!!

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2015, 12:03
by Ivor Backache
xx
onion?white rot

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 13:37
by Annie
thumbup
onion white rot

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 12:44
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 39 queries.