Pruning and moving currant shrubs

• 2 Replies

meriad

Pruning and moving currant shrubs
« on: October 22, 2018, 11:12 »
I have a red and a black currant bush at home that I would like to move to my allotment; but they are both rather neglected and overgrown with no shape whatsoever.   I'm willing to risk no fruit next year; so with that in mind could I do a fairly hard prune say to about 30cm / 12"  from the ground each, which not only will make moving them easier but also give me a new framework to work with going forwards?   

I've done a 'google' and found a few threads in various forums but none really mention a hard prune they all talk about renovating a plant left in situ or moving a plant that's had a regular prune / trim

Thanks in advance

Goosegirl

Re: Pruning and moving currant shrubs
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 15:08 »
Hi Miriad. It's a good time to move them whilst the ground is still relatively warm. Red and blackcurrant bushes fruit in a different manner. With your blackcurrants, I'd trim it down to about 15" then remove the darker older branches down to the ground, cut off any branches that are crossing inwards to obtain a cup-shape that lets the air get into the centre. Dig around the bush enough so you can remove it without it being too heavy. With the redcurrant, trim it to the same height, cut out any crossing branches, then trim the side shoots by taking off about 2/3rds of its length.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

meriad

Re: Pruning and moving currant shrubs
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 15:56 »
Goosegirl, thank you so very much!    I'll be uprooting this weekend then :D  thanks again

xx
Currant pruning

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 18:29
by gobs
xx
Pruning yr old currant bushes

Started by amc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2009, 08:41
by amc
xx
Pruning currant bushes

Started by Debz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 22, 2010, 16:18
by viettaclark
xx
Apple, gooseberry and white currant pruning

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2009, 16:26
by Greengirl

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 38 queries.