patio trees

• 4 Replies

chrissie B

patio trees
« on: September 11, 2016, 22:40 »
I was in homebase with hubby and seen some patio apple trees they are yellow and called keely they were marked down to £4 and one was at £7bargin i thought , i wanted a cherry and a pair so scowering the garden centers of the patio type .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Trikidiki

Re: patio trees
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 18:48 »
I would be wary of 'patio cherry trees'. There aren't any real dwarfing rootstocks for cherries and most of the patio trees I've seen are grafted onto Gisella G6 rootstock which is described as roughly equivalent to MM106 in apples, i.e. grows to 3-4m. There is a smaller rootstock Gisella G5 but that will still grow to 3m.

Pears aren't any better as the rootstock will likely be 'Quince A' which will grow to 3-4.5m

The dwarfing effect is predominantly acheived by 'strangling' the tree in a pot which you could acheive with much cheaper trees than these patio trees are sold for.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 19:14 »
I got this one for 4 pound , the reason for the patio trees is we have bought a retirement house and theres not as much garden we wont be. Moving for 5 years or so as we will rent it i wanted the patio trees to run along side the conservatory im getting them now so they are established and the gardens a sun trap thought this time of year yould be a good time to get some .
chrissie b

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 20:22 »
Are you planting them in pots or in the ground?

In pots they will be somewhat restricted but its not the best way to grow fruit trees and will require diligent watering, feeding and pruning.

In the ground they will probably grow much larger than you are expecting. What I was trying to point out is that there are no really dwarfing rootstocks for plums, cherries and pears as there are for apples.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2016, 12:46 »
They will be in pots as i said the garden is established at the new place and no room for trees so its in pots i think for now , ive got a cherry tree bought for my for mothers day its 4 years old and never had a cherry  lovley blossom and lots of promls even cherrys but where they go i do not know its a red cherry so im hoping for a black one .
chrissie b

xx
Ashridge Trees 50% off

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post April 18, 2022, 09:03
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
fruit trees

Started by blackisgreen on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 21:54
by Knight Family
xx
£5 Fruit Trees......

Started by sarah-king on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 09:44
by arugula
xx
Q D fruit trees

Started by fatcat1955 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 24, 2011, 08:31
by lucywil

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.