collecting seed.

• 5 Replies

lochnesslass

• Experienced Member
collecting seed.
« on: October 07, 2013, 13:51 »
ive collected seed from my pak choi and some flowes but that is all.
ive some parsley that i have left but as yet the flower heads havent gone dry- i asume they will dry out and they will then have seed heads? it is still in the ground.
ive let some brocolli also run to seen- its flowering at the moment will this also produce seed and if so how long does it take roughly.
can i and how do i collect seed from my cucumbers and courgettes.
advice much appreciated.
these 2 take all my time, whatever is left the veggies get, poor hubby is at the end of the queue.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: collecting seed.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 18:14 »
The first thing to check with you is whether any of the varieties had the word "F1" in their title?

F1 means that the seeds are highly unlikely to come true - i.e. to be the same as this year's variety.  This is because of the way they were bred in the first place.

If you still want to carry on, the realseeds website has some useful info:
http://www.realseeds.co.uk/seedsavinginfo.html
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 19:02 »
I often save seeds from squashes and get some interesting fruits the next year, as they are notoriously promiscuous  :lol:

Parsley does dry quite well. Just cut the complete head once the seeds are turning from green to brownish and keep it in a paper bag so that the seeds do not all fall off. Fresh seeds germinates very well too.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 19:06 »
Beware that cucumbers and courgette may have cross pollinated with other varieties so might not run true either.  I usually reserve my seed saving to just peas and beans and never bothered with other crops as most of those seeds are not that expensive compared to dedicating the space to let them get to that stage and the time and effort of ensuring they don't cross pollinate, the collecting and the drying to make sure the seed is in tip top condition for growing the following year.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 00:37 »
On your location it seems to be a bit late for them drying, try to cover them from rains and rots. A bag with some airing holes in, I use.

Corgs and cucs: think tomato, when well ripened, much more than tomato, when it's inedible thick and yellow looking, then the seed will be ripe inside. Dry off the flesh, keep dry and sow in spring.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 12:23 »
About a sixth of my saved White Lady runner bean seeds produced red flowered plants this year, so presumably crossed with some other beans last year, despite no-one else in the immediate area growing them as far as I can tell. (They are not an F1 variety either.)

Still good beans, just not what it originally said on the packet!  ;)

French beans self-pollinate readily, so although they too are visited by bees and therefore can cross-pollinate it's much less likely to happen than with runners.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Collecting seed.

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 21:22
by DD.
xx
seed collecting..tomato

Started by Kathy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 25, 2007, 13:39
by gaynorthegardener
xx
Collecting seed from Rocket

Started by Sharononline on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 18, 2011, 13:22
by mumofstig
xx
Collecting own seeds

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 28, 2007, 10:03
by shaun

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.