Collecting Water

• 6 Replies

tublet

Collecting Water
« on: March 20, 2006, 23:13 »
:shock: HI All,
  I am looking for rain collection and storage ideas. I have the down pipes from the greenhouse and shed covered. Am working on how to get that water into the greenhouse without making too many holes. As water on tap in there will be a bonus,plus water heats up during the day and will release slowly through the night. Any ideas greatly recieved, even passing thought will be useful. Thanks. Tublet
Home is where my garden is. I now have 2 homes.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Collecting Water
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 10:42 »
I've read quite a bit about using water as a heat store in greenhouses, seems like a brilliant idea to me.

I played with designing a solar heating system so the sun in the day would heat up water in the house and this would release overnight.  You can get flexible hot water pipes nowadays and paint old radiators black allowing the hot water to rise into the tank and the cold enter the radiator at the bottom.

Still, my wife says I need to get on with building the greenhouse on the plot and play with this another day :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
Collecting Water
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 11:29 »
In europe and india you find the domestic hot water is often provided by solar stills like you are describing and they are very efficient. Even in our climate they can provide a almost free hot water from sping to autumn. you want your blacked radiators behind glass so that you dont get any windchill . i made one years ago for a bus i lived on for about a fiver and loads of scrap and it worked great.

tublet

water storage 2
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 21:49 »
Thanks for the solar ideas. Plot 4s previous occupant has left a bath. I was going to use it for a crop at first,but have it as water storage. A sudden idea on way from work, put bath in the greenhouse.I can put a worksuface on the top, this would act like a heat mat. Now i need to come up with how to get the water out to water the plants. HELP. I figured a water barrel would take up planting space. Tublet

twysted1

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.bodymod.org/profiles/v2/profile.asp?Main=1&PF=7907
Collecting Water
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 22:19 »
tublet you could try siphoning the water from your bath to your plants. you would just need a length of hose pipe. your idea would also increase the humidity in the greenhouse which is good; isn't it ?

Gwiz

Collecting Water
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 07:15 »
how about a small 12 volt bilge pump from a boat? it could be run of a small solar panel maybe, or even one of those cheap rechargable jump starter battery packs (has a light and compressor included) :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Collecting Water
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 08:42 »
If you are looking for solar power stuff, try ebay france (ebay.fr)

I bought some solar fans and they were shipped quickly and cheaply. I was pleasently surprised.

xx
Collecting a 6 x 8 greenhouse

Started by Tohmahtae on Equipment Shed

18 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 14:14
by Tohmahtae
xx
Cheap water butts and water butt pumps

Started by ConfusedGardener on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 20:50
by ConfusedGardener
xx
Water Butt Offer from Yorkshire Water

Started by SweetPea on Equipment Shed

20 Replies
Last post July 21, 2006, 15:58
by Basil Fawlty
question
storing water and water butts help

Started by galeey on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post July 06, 2015, 20:24
by noshed

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 39 queries.