Anti-pecking rings - getting them on! just how?

• 6 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Anti-pecking rings - getting them on! just how?
« on: August 13, 2012, 22:43 »
Ive bought some anti-pecking rings, the simple through mouth and up nose jobs. There only for use on one girl, as ive observed her pecking the other two

Just how on earth do you get these things on?

Ive had her wedged between my legs, head gripped as firmly as i dare, eyes covered, and she manages to wriggle out, ive tried softening the ring by soaking it in hot water, but it doesnt seem to soften enough to allow it to quickly slip on

Im guessing theres a trick to this, can anyone advise?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Anti-pecking rings - getting them on! just how?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 01:07 »
Hi Zac

I've only ever managed to do it with two people. I hold the bird wrapped up in a towel on the table with one hand to steady her and the other hand free to hold her head still and open her beak.  Worzel pulls the beak bit open a bit using two hands so that it can be slipped into the nostrils.  Make sure her tongue is under it.

Good luck :)

MrsBee

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00 »
I use a pair of ring opening pliers (shown in the link below) in conjunction with the bigger, better designed "bumper bits" (not the small white beak rings, they're impossible to fit without hurting the poor girl).  The ring opening pliers work in the opposite way to normal pliers in that when you squeeze the handles together, the two prongs at the other end open up:-

http://www.ouchbodyjewellery.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=020304&NOLOGIN=1

I wrap my chicken up in a towel first so that she cannot struggle.  I place the bumper bit on top of her tongue and position the nose prongs loosely on top of her beak ready to go into the nostrils with the pliers.  I hold everything in place by keeping my thumb at the back of her head and my forefinger on the tip of her beak to stop the ring falling out of her mouth.  I then use the ring opening pliers in the two spaces provided on the bumper bit to squeeze the ring open.  I hold her head firmly, but not tightly, so that she cannot jerk her head whilst I am positioning the nose prongs into place.  I take care not to leave the prongs squashing her nostrils down - I ensure that they go under her nostril 'flaps' leaving sufficient space for air to circulate in and out of her nostrils.  Finally, I make sure that the ring is sitting squarely across her mouth and not crooked in any way.

On a separate note, I do actually snip the front bumper 'bar' part off the ring (with regular pliers) before using it as I find that the ring is always too long.  I still leave two 'prongs' sticking downwards on the left and right and these does usually get worn down after time, leaving them the same length as the beak, but just the discomfort of having the ring in place is usually enough to deter them from plucking someone's feathers out.

A juicy grape before and after the whole process and job's a good 'un  :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:01 by MrsBee »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 10:26 »
Good detailed advice there Mrs B.

(not the small white beak rings, they're impossible to fit without hurting the poor girl). 

I disagree with that Mrs B.  But we do use two pairs of hands.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 10:36 »
grannie annie and myself have also fitted them between us quite easily.
The pliers the work the opposite way can often be found in tool shops and are known as external circlip pliers for fitting piston rings on  :)

this picture shows a pair.
Staffies are softer than you think.

MrsBee

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 13:38 »
I disagree with that Mrs B.  But we do use two pairs of hands.

Sorry yes, I should have been more clear and said that I personally find them impossible to fit using just my one pair of hands! Apologies for that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 14:00 »
No problem :)

xx
anti pecking rings

Started by evie2 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 31, 2010, 21:53
by evie2
xx
Anti pecking rings

Started by Mrs S on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post March 15, 2010, 23:43
by hillfooter
xx
anti hen pecking spray

Started by westie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 19, 2008, 17:06
by Lost in France
xx
ANTI PECKING ADVISE PLEASE

Started by carolena on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2012, 15:38
by Casey76

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 40 queries.