Brussels Sprouts tops problem

• 5 Replies

MarkC

Brussels Sprouts tops problem
« on: November 23, 2018, 16:15 »
The tops on my sprouts have developed a greyish mould rotting to a brown mush. I did notice one plant had this a couple of weeks ago, and as I'd harvested some sprouts from it, I pulled it and used the rest. The other few seemed ok at the time. Checking them today, all the tops have the same problem. I twisted the tops off and disposed of them.

The sprouts themselves seem fine - my question is whether this is likely to spread to them, and whether they will keep ok until Christmas now. My neighbour has had the same problem on a couple of his, which I spotted, and he took the tops off his. Other plot holders don't seem to be affected. I had kept the netting over mine as had he until recently. Is this likely to have contributed?

Any advice welcomed.

MarkC

Re: Brussels Sprouts tops problem
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 21:49 »
Checked them again today, and they seem to be ok - no sign of the mould developing on the remaining stalk. I think the sprouts may have stopped growing though, but they are an ok size now anyway.

Still not sure what it was. Doesn't seem to be affecting the other brassicas next to them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 09:41 »
Thank goodness for that. Obviously nobody knew the answer, sorry for no reply  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:07 »
Sorry to have missed your original post. Removing the tops was the best course of action, even though without leaves the plant would cease to grow, so the actual sprouts will stay the same size then, but at least they are not dead.
Your description sounds like a fungal disease , posssibly white mould or scelerotina stem rot. I assume you didn't put the dideased material in the compost bin? And voiding growing brassicas in that same bed will avoid any pathogens from having a host for a while so it dies out 

The very wet, mild weather has probably been a contributing factor this year. I use very fine mesh over brassicas until the Autumn, when I change to bird netting to keep the pigeons off, and this does increase ventiliation too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

MarkC

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 11:32 »
Thanks both for responding. I took it that this wasn't something very obvious due to lack of replies! I checked against more common brassica diseases and it didn't quite tick the boxes.

I didn't add the diseased material to compost. It's still in a pile on a slab next to the brassica bed and I will chuck it out when our local waste disposal site decides to reopen again after refurbishment. I will be rotating away from that part of plot next year. Ironic, as it's the first year I haven't had any clubroot problems with brassicas, which I put down to copious liming. The sprouts are a decent enough size anyway, so no problem if they stop growing.

I have had rubble netting over them since they went in, over blue plastic hoops, but the tops had begun to push against the netting since about end September. Our autumn was about average for rain, and not too mild  and it's a lot colder up here now so I hope that helps. Not basking in the tropical south....

They will be eaten by New Year anyway :) ! Red cabbage next to them seems fine - I still have a couple to lift there.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 16:55 »
You may never know  :wacko:

xx
Brussels Sprout Tops

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post December 23, 2007, 14:54
by Sally A
cheesy
brussels sprouts

Started by lincolnlad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 20:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Brussels sprouts

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 20:26
by Christine
xx
brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 10, 2021, 14:31
by jezza

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 43 queries.