No fool like an ageing Growster...

• 12 Replies

Growster...

No fool like an ageing Growster...
« on: September 13, 2018, 17:27 »
I wanted to grind up some sweetcorn stems the other day, and so the old garden shredder was hoiked out of the shed, onto the plot where all the chips could safely flutter.

Now, I use an old piece of skirting to knock the stuff through the slot, and as should be the case, this piece of wood isn't too long as of course, it would be attacked by the blades and chipped as well. Without thinking, I placed the machine in position, and turned it on...

All heck let loose, the piece of wood had slid down inside, and immediately jammed the blades.

Hmmm...

Normal people would have turned the thing off, but for some reason, this Growster didn't - thinking it had stalled itself and as they do, cut itself out, and I opened it up. I've used the machine for years, and this had never happened before, but suddenly the thing restarted, the top fell off, (I'd undone the nut which holds it in place), the motor housing also fell off, and there was a mystified Growster wondering what to do next. Obviously turning of the power at the mains was a good idea, and so it all went quiet.

But the old thing has now got so many dented, snapped, hurt bits, I really don't think I should even try to make it all work again, which is a shame, as Growsters normally never say die, let alone give up!

It's so old, I reckon that I should take Mrs Growster's advice and get a new one, but pride dictates just one more inspection and a poke around, (with the power off) just in case...

Doesn't it?

Lardman

Re: No fool like an ageing Growster...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 18:06 »
If you didn't let the magic pixies out there's always a chance you can fix it with some percussive maintenance  ;) You may get just a little longer from the old gal.

I let the smoke out of the lawn mower at ML's last year but managed to perform enough reconstructive surgery that she's gone a few more rounds.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 20:42 »
Providing you are knowledgeable about how it all goes together then do it. If not then retire it and either buy a new one or look around for a second hand one.
The blades spin very fast and unless put back together correctly it could go horribly wrong for anyone close by

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:17 »
Sound advice as ever from chums here!

I had a more detailed look at some of the insides, and yup - it's a goner for sure!

Did a bit of research on the net, and found a nice smaller model for about £85, and while driving to the shop, just popped into Block and Quayle's DIY Emporium, and they had an identical model (different badging) for seven notes cheaper, so it's sitting outside now, waiting to be fed...

Nuff said, I'm beginning to forgive my self - Mrs Growster already has thank goodness;0)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 14:08 »
Oh Growster!  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: Even a daft tart like me knows to switch off electrical devices before doing any internal examinations. You could have been seriously hurt; instead it was your wallet that got damaged. I hope you wear eye protection while you're using it or else …..  :mad:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 18:16 »
Goosey, you're not a daft tart at all. Nice one probably - certainly..;0)

Yup, I'll hold my hands up and admit that turning off the power should have been the first thing to do, but it had done that itself and I'd never seen it do this before.

Anyway, as the title of this post says, Growsters learn lessons any day! (I was trying to move a cooker years ago, and after several goes, touched a 30amp wire, which caused Mrs Growster to make me lie down on the floor until I stopped twitching - that I do not recommend, well, the closeness of Mrs Growster was pretty good, but I had to get up and start again)!

The new muncher works like a dream, and cracks through old rose stems like crazy, so it'll cope well with the weigela, apple, cotinus, old hedge in its entirety, and some other stuff waiting to be done!

One sort of chopping is impossible - wistaria! That is like carbon-fibre wire, and never chops properly, so it goes in the brown bin...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 18:17 by Growster... »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 19:36 »
If it's any consolation I once decided to fix the timer on the washing machine in the days when they were more mechanical. I flew across the kitchen when I touched the live wire  ::)
An experience I'll not forget...
Glad your new chomper is working well. I changed the blade on mine this year. After struggling with the nut for an hour I remembered.. Lefty loosey, righty tighty and reversed the direction of applied force. D'OH!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 06:07 »
It's no fun is it, John!

I can't get the blade off my rotary mower, even though it's only a couple of years old...

WD40 during the close season may help - and I will have to remember to disconnect the spark plug!

(or get the local mower mechanic to do it, he's magic)!

By the way, I like Lard's desscription of work with a Birmingham screwdriver - 'percussive maintenance'!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:09 by Growster... »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 09:25 »
By the way, I like Lard's desscription of work with a Birmingham screwdriver - 'percussive maintenance'!

I take it that is man code for get the hammer out and whack it   :lol:  OH is quite partial to that approach.  It even works ... sometimes  :nowink:  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 09:59 »
Only two tools you need for most DIY:

If it moves and it's not supposed to: duct tape

If it's supposed to move but doesn't: WD40.

:wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 11:15 »
I find this:
  • Time to perform task - 2 minutes
  • Time to find the right tool to perform the task - 2 hours

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 12:10 »
So true John, although I frequently have another:
  • Time spent procrastinating before actually performing task - >2 months!  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 12:14 »
I find this:
  • Time to perform task - 2 minutes
  • Time to find the right tool to perform the task - 2 hours

Absolutely John!

And of course, time to learn that there's only one way to do any job - 71 years..;0)

xx
Re- Growster's senservumer.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2023, 09:00
by Goosegirl
xx
Growster Moon...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 10, 2020, 14:11
by Growster...

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 50 queries.