Chicken Keeping Courses

• 25 Replies

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:32 »
We have a lot of people on the forum who are either considering keeping chickens for the first time, or who are new to the hobby.

If a reasonably priced one day course was available, what areas as Newbies would you expect to be covered and what questions would you wish to ask ?

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 08:12 »
I think the main areas would be:
Housing, bedding etc.
Feed - what sort and how often
How to handle chickens
Basic info on different breeds
Possible problems, illnesses, what to look out for and what to do

Maybe not the first thing a new chicken keeper would consider, but I would also really appreciate being shown how to kill a chicken so that if I had to do it in an emergency (or indeed if your aim was to raise them for the table) I could be reasonably calm and confident about it.

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:21 »
Thanks for that :D  
Long time chicken keepers tend to simply take it for granted that  people new to chickens some how know quite naturally how to handle and look after  them etc and thats obviously not the case. First time chicken keepers must find it all very daunting.

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:54 »
Bodger, are you thinking of running of a course then?!

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:34 »
At some time in the future yes. When I see what people are paying out for just a one day courses it makes my blood boil. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: and this  not just go for chicken keeping courses either.

I have a group of friends that given the right venue and planning could cover quite a number of topics. Don't get too excited, its only very much in an embrionic stage, but in the meantime, I'll continue to be as helpful as possible. It is however very tricky to give advice anything very much above the very basic on the internet. Its not until you pick the chickens up in the flesh and see for yourself how they live that you realise how very simple looking after a few chickens is. :D  Its not rocket science inspite of what some people would have you believe :lol:

I'm going on a one day orchard management course this coming Sunday and its costing me £20.00 for the day, which I think is extremely reasonable
On the other hand certain other very well known people are asking for and getting anything from £150 to £225 for a one day beginners course :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Selkie

Re: Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 09:43 »
:D

mercury

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 09:45 »
Quote from: "Fenland Girl"
I think the main areas would be:
Housing, bedding etc.
Feed - what sort and how often
How to handle chickens
Basic info on different breeds
Possible problems, illnesses, what to look out for and what to do

Maybe not the first thing a new chicken keeper would consider, but I would also really appreciate being shown how to kill a chicken so that if I had to do it in an emergency (or indeed if your aim was to raise them for the table) I could be reasonably calm and confident about it.

I totally agree with your last paragraph fenland girl, in my opinion knowing how to humanely kill an animal is an important aspect of livestock keeping :wink:

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 09:46 »
Even a poultry keeper who never kills their chickens, could one day be met with a situation where they may have to, in order to prevent suffering to their stock. There's not always going to be someone else around to do it for you.

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:59 »
Quote from: "Still Bodger !"
At some time in the future yes. When I see what people are paying out for just a one day courses it makes my blood boil. :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted: and this  not just go for chicken keeping courses either.

... anything from £150 to £225 for a one day beginners course :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

I kept a couple of chickens as a child so although i was a bit rusty I didn't really consider going on a course when we got ours. Several of my neighbours also keep chickens so it's not that unusual a hobby round here. But I would certainly think about going on a course for £20 a day, that seems very reasonable.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:55 »
I'd like to see a course in despatching and table preparation, Muntjacs article is brilliant for the despatching but I'd like to be shown how to gut, clean and prepare for table.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 11:21 »
It really is simple Richy but whilst books and DVDs can prove useful, they really can't take the place of doing it yourself or at least being there when its done.
At least prospective poultry keepers would then get some idea as to whether or not they would be prepared to do it should push come to shove.
Peope who don't intend eating their own birds could simply step out of the class for a short while, this part of poultry keeping is a fairly minor part (unless you happen to be the chicken of course)  and not essential. An organised and structured  one day teach in could be packed with lots of other interesting stuff.

CAL

Re: Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 14:08 »
Quote from: "Bodger !"
We have a lot of people on the forum who are either considering keeping chickens for the first time, or who are new to the hobby.

If a reasonably priced one day course was available, what areas as Newbies would you expect to be covered and what questions would you wish to ask ?

I would be really interested in something like this.

Chicken keeping doesn't appear to be that difficult from what I have read on here (my gardens not ready for chickens yet so I have no experience of it yet) but I would appreciate some hands on experience from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 14:24 »
Chicken keeping is really easy !!!  But so is driving a car, and no one would dod that without learning how and being tested.

That's a brilliant Idea Bodger,  but remember chicken keepers are not all the same.  They range from "oh look at my lovely cutsy chicky wicky" to "Nope this one's not quite fat enough to eat yet" and from  GreatGrannieAnnie with a shed full of 300 to my Eglu of 2.

The priciples are the same for all - but the pitch is quite different.

Omlet run Hen Parties for Beginners  :D

Bodger

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 14:50 »
Unfortunately one facet of a course would have to deal with basic hygiene including bird flu regulations and preventitive measures.

Selkie

Chicken Keeping Courses
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 14:51 »
Wouldn't it all be alot to fit into one day though?

xx
New to chicken keeping

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:31
by ceri green
xx
Keeping chicken...

Started by Willow_Warren on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 21, 2014, 11:23
by Sassy
xx
HELP - new to chicken keeping!

Started by dazza666 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 15:07
by dazza666
xx
New to Chicken-keeping

Started by Frothgar on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 12:15
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 35 queries.