What is best seedling growing medium

• 6 Replies

skatenchips

What is best seedling growing medium
« on: March 24, 2011, 09:46 »
At present I have been using ..................

J Innes no1 (60%)+ Horticultural sand (20%)+ vermiculite (20%)

I have not had too many failed seeds not grown due to the combination of the above.

Forgive me for being nieve but is this combination wrong ......eg.....are the 3 elements wrong
together should I forgo the sand.....or use Perlite.....is drainage better than water retention.

The following link confused me as it said in one breath that vermiculite sustains root growth
yet in another sentence it suggests the Perlite creates more air for better root growth.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5387409_vermiculite-vs-perlite.html

The horticultural sand I had also read was an easier medium for roots to grow through....eg.....
carrots etc.....so I thought seedlings would benefit from its inclusion.

So,you can see I am a little concerned as to the "accepted" way that the majority of members use or.....optional methods that might be used each season.

once I get used to starting out  the right way if there is such a thing I wont have to ask innane questions such as these.

Cheers

Gazza

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: What is best seedling growing medium
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:55 »
There is nothing "inane" about your question Gazza, it's possibly just a bit technical for those of us (OK, me then!  :tongue2:) who just use decent quality multipurpose compost for sowing. The most I do is sieve the soil to cover the seeds with to make sure the emerging seedlings don't have to fight through any lumps, and I've never felt the need to go to any more trouble or expense than that.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Shop Keep

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 11:41 »
Same as that JayG.
As long as there are no house bricks on top of them they are going to come up.

skatenchips

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 16:04 »
thanks....it would appear I can afford to simplify growing seedlings then.

The problem with learning something new is you can tend to "read " to much instead of
keeping to traditional methods.....ie.....stick the * in....squash ya heel on it and then stand back and watch the * grow.... ;)

Gazza

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 16:51 »
As long as you use fresh compost i.e. this year's, put it in your pot, tamp it down, then water it underneath with tap water by standing it in a filled clean container until it is just and so moist, gently pat the compost down as it often lifts a bit, then sow your seeds on top and cover or not with finely-sieved compost to a depth and keep to the germinating temperature as directed on the packet it should be ok. Seedlings don't need many nutrients to germinate so many people use John Innes No. 1 then prick out into No. 2. I find J.I. a bit cold so I use and have had success with a general purpose compost which I then prick out my seedlings into a new pot of compost mixed with Perlite or Vermiculite - it helps to make the compost go further too.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 17:47 »
I always use John Innes Seedling which is better than J I No1, but No1 is fine if youve nothing else.  I do not use general multipurpose compast as its far too light and fluffy in texture (if its a good one that is) Some MP's are rubbish tho so be wary.
I have also found that some manufacturers John Innes leave a lot to be desired so make sure you by a good brand (for your info John Innes is a formula NOT a brand)

Westland have introduced a new seedling compost call "Surestart" I am testing this out this year and am comparing to John Innes so will let you know my findings....
Death OR Cake ???

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 13:45 »
I use B&Q MP 60lt mixed with a bag of sharp sand.

xx
growing medium

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 20:34
by Welsh Merf
xx
Growing Medium

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:33
by eeedowls
xx
Onion Growing medium

Started by dbo679 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 08:49
by Yabba
xx
Advice on growing medium

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 15:12
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 40 queries.