Onion Growing medium

• 14 Replies

dbo679

Onion Growing medium
« on: August 24, 2008, 19:31 »
This is my first visit and find your onion info very useful, following on from that does anybody know what the best growing medium is for onions

vegmandan

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 22:30 »
Any good rich soil will do. :shock:

agapanthus

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 23:22 »
Quote from: "vegmandan"
Any good rich soil will do. :shock:
Don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but when do you start your seeds off Dan?

vegmandan

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 00:25 »
I don't start my seeds off my self I have a man who does this for me ....ahhhemmm..

Only kidding.

Unfortunately since I don't have a heated greenhouse,or even a greenhouse I have to buy my plants in.(no alternative really)as my polytunnel is freezing until May

But If I did have one I'd sow the seed in January and grow them on in 3 inch pots .

I did try growing and sowing 'em  at home under artificial lights but it cost about £150 in electricity  6 years ago, so It would probably cost about £1000000000000 today.(Thanks Gordon !!!) :twisted:

agapanthus

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 00:30 »
Okay :) So where do you get em'? :)

vegmandan

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 00:42 »
Last year I got my best shaped ones ever and an average of 3-4 lbs  from MR Fothergills Kelsae Seedlings at about £6 for 40 plants.

If I'd known how rubbish this years were going to be from my new supplier I'd have got them again from Mr Fothergills!!!

This years Disasters were £30 and I'm not going to say where they were from because I don't want anyone else to be as disappointed as I have been.

I might reveal the identity on my site if I don't get a decent answer to why they were so hopeless given the price from the supplier. :twisted:

agapanthus

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 00:46 »
Oh dear :( I like the sound of the £6 though! :)

Yabba

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 08:04 »
Just to continue the hijacking of the thread :roll:

Next year I have the benefit of a greenhouse with heated beds to start things off in ... I actually have access to it now .... and I'll also have a *sort of* greenhouse to grow them on in, earliest I'll have access to that is liable to be nov/dec ... I can post a pic of it, but it's full of flowers at the mo :tongue2:

So, given that, what onions would you buy, would you still grow from seeds ( in january ), and how many onions can I fit in a ... urm ... get's out ruler ... 21' x 2' 4" bed ?

Answers on a postcard :D

¥

vegmandan

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 18:29 »
Personally if I had a heated greenhouse and some supplementary light (not entirely necessary) I'd grow from seed in late December/early January.

Your best varieties would be Kelsae or Robinsons Mammoth from seed although there are other varieties.

But if these don't grow well or don't look too good then you could always buy some Mr Fothergills Kelsae plants which arrive mid to late April,I wish I'd grown them this year !!!!

As for spacing you ideally want to plant out at least 12 inches apart each way,ideally 18"

So for your 21x2'4 bed you could do two rows at 12-15 inches apart with 15-20 per row so 30-40 in total depending on your spacings. :D

matron

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 18:46 »
Why such big spacing Vegmandan?
We use sets and only leave about 6" - 8" inbetween based on the theory that each bulb will be no bigger than about 4" across.

Kate and her Ducks

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 18:51 »
Would have thought the roots get much bigger than that though.

(Not an expert though :oops:  Wait for Dan :roll: )
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matron

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 18:55 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
Would have thought the roots get much bigger than that though.

(Not an expert though :oops:  Wait for Dan :roll: )

This is our third year and we don't seem to have had any problems. The bulbs do look bigger this year.  :lol:

vegmandan

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 19:18 »
Quote from: "matron"
Why such big spacing Vegmandan?
We use sets and only leave about 6" - 8" inbetween based on the theory that each bulb will be no bigger than about 4" across.

I thought we had moved on to big exhibition onions which if you're lucky can be over 9 inches in diameter so you'd need at least that so they don't touch hence the big spacings..

As for everyday onions I agree... 4-6 inches apart is fine. :)

matron

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 19:30 »
Phew, thanks vegmandan. As I say, they look fine (better this year than last two) and almost ready to dig up. We didn't get them in until beginning of May so they are a but late.
Thanks for all the info. I can always find answers to my questions on here even if I am not the one asking them.   :lol:  :lol:

Yabba

Onion Growing medium
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 08:49 »
Thanks for the information, I think I'll give it a shot and see if I can spark them off in december :D

¥

xx
Growing Medium

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:33
by eeedowls
xx
growing medium

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 26, 2014, 20:34
by Welsh Merf
xx
Advice on growing medium

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 15:12
by Goosegirl
xx
What is best seedling growing medium

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 13:45
by TerryB

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 38 queries.