Wing Clipping

• 4 Replies

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
Wing Clipping
« on: January 27, 2011, 15:03 »
Hi all,

Just a quick question - I know it's quite a common one although our situation differs from others...

If we clip our ducks' wings, will the be able to get enough 'flight' to get over a 3ft fence / wall?

I want to give them more of a run around in the garden but as we have a low wall and low gate, I worry they'll be able to get out and go...

Thanks!

orchardlady

Re: Wing Clipping
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 15:10 »
Hello Chase Chicken. I've only been keeping ducks since last May. First three drake Aylesbury's and now 4 Kaki Campbell's. Neither breed can really get off the ground and I don't think they can climb, they certainly are not like chickens who can hop up onto a 3 foot wall, wing clipped or not, very easily. I would suggest you let your ducks have a weekend of free run of your garden and watch them carefully. I think you will find they are perfectly happy with both feet firmly on the ground.

OL

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 15:38 »
Thanks!  We have three Khaki Campbells ourselves... they're lovely although very timid, but that's another story!

Two escaped a few weeks ago (just after we had got them) and one actually flew away!  We managed to find her about 300yds up the road running into someone's garden!  So, I'm a bit worried that will happen again, although when they escaped the neighbours had just started up a hedge strimmer, so I think the noise scared them.

We believed they had clipped wings but haven't done it ourselves (yet) - but I now want them to have more freedom so it's what I plan to do....

We shall see what happens.  If you happen to see a duck or two looking lost near you then let me know!! :-)

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 16:39 »
Hmm - well, ours sure as h*ll did fly away!  Got to about 30ft in the air too!!

I'm sure they're Khaki Campbells though so who knows... perhaps with a clipping it's worth the risk then and hopefully the hedge trimmer won't go off at exactly the same time...

chasechicken

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 14:21 »
No pics I'm afraid - too worried about where they were headed... our garden isn't very big!

I must say that when I did catch her (actually, could be a him...) he/she was VERY out of breath, so I think it took a lot of energy.  Of course, they may not be Khaki Campbells, although they sure look the same!!

I'll clip their wings and see what happens I think...

xx
Wing Clipping

Started by Floss16 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 10:54
by Dominic
xx
wing clipping

Started by Selkie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2007, 21:29
by Bodger
xx
wing clipping

Started by walker on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 20:03
by walker
xx
WING CLIPPING

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 26, 2010, 13:49
by cluckingnuts

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 38 queries.