Recipes for Runner Beans

• 20 Replies

Sally A

Recipes for Runner Beans
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 22:51 »
I agree Grannie, men are so fickle, if their Mums never gave it to them it's too foreign.

Hubby sat down to rice salad (home grown toms, courgette, beans) some onion,mushrooms, garlic and pepper, but he was so taken aback with the corn on the cob he hasn't moaned about "No Meat"

Maybe the plum crumble shut him up.

He is now learning the benefits of home grown.

Also my shopping bill dropped by a third as things are now coming in to season.

wellingtons

Hi Crowndale ...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 09:43 »
... because french beans contain a toxin that all raw beans contain ... lectin??? I might have just made that word up so don't quote me!!

Not sure what the effect of eating raw beans is, and I think, as with all things it can affect some people worse than others.  But my mother was adamant that you could eat raw peas but never ever raw string beans or runner beans.

I tried the runner beans and was a very sorry girl, so I'm assuming she's also right about the french beans (wot she would have called string beans!).

If you have a tuna nicoise salad in a posh restaurant I've noticed that the french beans are never raw.

mushroom

Recipes for Runner Beans
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 09:47 »
steam them, then mix with some chopped onion that has previously been dehydrated with salt, squeezed, rinsed, drop of cider vinegar added. Serve warm or cool.

Fat Hen

Recipes for Runner Beans
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 14:56 »
I like them cooked with tomatoes & garlic (greek).

Sautee an onion with garlic add 2 or 3 chopped n peeled beef tomatoes (or a tin), a veg oxo cube & some oregano.  cook on low heat for abut 1/2 hour then add green beans chopped to a couple of inches long.  Cook till beans are done (1/2 hr ish).

Even nicer when you add cyprus potatoes cut into long wedges at same time as beans but at this time of year are getting difficult to get, large jersey royals make a reasonable substitute but are easier to overcook.

Mercuria

Recipes for Runner Beans
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 22:05 »
I thought I didn't like runner beans but planted some so my son could pick them and give them to nanny.  I tried some of my own home grown on Wednesday- OMG!!!!! what have I been missing!?  My mother must have done something foul to them to put me off them for 24 years!  They are so sweet and juicy.

I had my stir fired in garlic and ginger and sprinkled with toated sunflower seeds.

Check out  www.eattheseasons.co.uk LINK for more runner bean receipes (and everything else for that matter!)
"Is it supposed to look like that?"

cluckingmad

Recipes for Runner Beans
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 13:17 »
I luv runner bean chutney and cheese butties - yum :)
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 38 queries.