Patty Pan Courgettes

• 8 Replies

MarkC

Patty Pan Courgettes
« on: August 28, 2018, 10:34 »
I have 5 courgette plants, of which 2 are patty pan for the first time. The other three are yellow ones (2) and a lebanese one (I think - light green and round) and have produced and continue to produce a bumper crop. The patty pan, although the plants have grown well and flowered well, are not really producing at all. Couple of pretty small fruits (I know they aren't meant to be big).

Am I too far north for these? We had great weather too until about 3 weeks ago, all changed now, cool cloudy and quite wet. I won't grow them again if they do this as it takes up too much valuable space. I grew them all from seed myself from a mixed pack. Any thoughts welcome.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Patty Pan Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30 »
That seems strange, here they produce as well as any other courgette/squash -unless it really is to do with your location  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 11:57 »
Given that the other types did OK, there must be enough pollinating insects about.

Did you notice how many of the patty pan's flowers were female?

Sometimes, as with all squashes, they sometimes just get it wrong, although weather conditions can play a part in that to some degree.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

MarkC

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 13:00 »
Thanks folks, yes, plenty of pollinating insects. Runner beans and other such like all did very well.

Same soil too, which is very fertile. There appeared to be more male than female flowers, particularly at first, but the female ones just didn't seem to come to much. Those fruits that did form were small and rotted quite quickly in complete contrast to the other varieties which you couldn't turn your back on as they grew so fast!

The plants were slower to come away in June than the others despite being about the same size when leaving the greenhouse. However, they caught up by July. Maybe I will get a few still....no huge loss as there are plenty on the rest. More the variety that was wanted....

Christine

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 18:52 »
I've found that patty pan courgettes can be rather unproductive. No idea why - have stuck to courgettes after a couple of tries.

madcat

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 10:01 »
It's been a funny year - Gold nugget squashes which are usually very reliable for me have decided not to play this year, but the marrows ...   :ohmy:  despite the shortage of water.   Might be worth giving them the benefit of the doubt and trying again next year.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 09:24 »
I've found that patty pan courgettes can be rather unproductive. No idea why - have stuck to courgettes after a couple of tries.
  a
And yet I have found them to be overwhelmingly productive, to the point we are not going to grow them again for some years.

I reckon it is the uncertain nature of growing that adds to the immense pleasure of GYO really  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 19:11 »
I have tried patty pans several times and not had a huge amount of success with them.  I have however had a great haul from Early Prolific Straightneck summer squash from Real Seeds this year.  It lived up to its name and produced tons more than the patty pans and crook necked summer squash I have grown previously.

MarkC

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 18:31 »
Update...since my original post, I've had lots of flowers and new small fruit forming, but it's so late in the season now that most of them aren't coming to anything. I know that they don't get that big anyway. Total harvestable crop has been about 5......

Think I will try another variety next year!

clip
Are these Patty Pan?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 20:15
by mumofstig
clip
Patty Pan Oddness.

Started by willp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:07
by compostqueen
xx
patty pans

Started by blackisgreen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 13:46
by gobs
xx
Patty Pan Squashes

Started by jmc1949 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 20:19
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 40 queries.