Next years potatoes

• 6 Replies

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Next years potatoes
« on: October 18, 2013, 21:01 »
This year we were successful with main crop potatoes - the first time for several years. We covered the area with compost that was mainly chicken waste that was well rotted.

Will I be 'safe' to plant potatoes again next year or should I crop rotate , and if so what should I plant in place.
The area is approx 5 meters wide and had 4 rows of Desiree   
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: Next years potatoes
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 21:03 »
You can plant anything other than potatoes... never plant potatoes in the same bed as last year.. leave it at least 2 more years with other stuff growing.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Totty

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 21:32 »
Not tomatoes either.

Totty

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 21:45 »
Planning to use some of the space for onions, have just been reading another post about this . May have to wait for a dry spell as the ground is rather wet at present.

gobs

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 22:53 »
Planning to use some of the space for onions, have just been reading another post about this . May have to wait for a dry spell as the ground is rather wet at present.

I think that's one good idea, to put some allium kinds in there this year, onions, leeks, garlic. They will do fine through the winter. For next season, as Gav and others  say, I'd refrain from pots and likes. Anything else you want to grow.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 23:04 by gobs »
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 00:14 »

Onions really need to be in in now.. You can plant into modules now and plant out in a few weeks when they have started to grow and roots are doing well. Dont wait now or it'll be too late.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 09:01 »
My suggestion would be that you devise a crop rotation, so that each "Bed" gets a different crop each year, which gives time for any diseases to die through lack of a suitable host, and for the nutrients required by one crop to be offset by those of the next, and so on.  Also you can manure, or lime, each Bed as part of the rotation to suit the crop.

Typical rotation is either 3 or 4 years, so depends how much space you have.

Biggest problem I have with crop rotation is that I don't need the same amount of space for each crop. I need far more space for Brassicas than I do for, say, onions and leeks.  I'm lucky in that I have plenty of space, so I have 8 beds.  4 are for a conventional 4-year rotation, and the other 4 have cut flowers ... and a second bed of Brassicas.

As an alternative to "Japanese Onions" (which need planting now), you could plant conventional Onions in the early Spring. I sow my onions in January or February in modules, and growing from sets, planted in the Spring, is another option.

xx
last years potatoes

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2022, 08:54
by rowlandwells
xx
Last years potatoes

Started by Digger Parsnip on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2007, 20:47
by Mrs.Veg
xx
last years potatoes

Started by candygold1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2013, 15:05
by candygold1
xx
Last years potatoes

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2013, 08:49
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 34 queries.