Outdoor grape

• 11 Replies

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Outdoor grape
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:00 »
Hi all,

I am erecting some wires on the south facing wall for some fruit. I have chosen some cordon apples but I'd like to try grapes. I love in doncaster so we are quite northern but it is fairly sunny here. I would like a red dessert variety if possible.

Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

4 Seasons

Re: Outdoor grape
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 13:12 »
Hi all,

I am erecting some wires on the south facing wall for some fruit. I have chosen some cordon apples but I'd like to try grapes. I love in doncaster so we are quite northern but it is fairly sunny here. I would like a red dessert variety if possible.

Any recommendations and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rondo is the new German grape that is supposed to be the bees knees. I've planted 80 this year and they have outperformed everything else. All grapes in my mind are dessert varieties as it's the sugar content that ferments to make good wine.  Bob Flowerdew recommends Boscoop Glory which I've also planted and it is doing well but is under some protection but it will do OK without protection especially against a south facing wall (lucky you).  Rondo is more hardy and won't need protection. I'm smack level with Doncaster.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 13:21 by 4 Seasons »

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 16:53 »
Thanks for that, I was thinking Brandt but it is probably a bit better further south. If boscoop is good enough for bob flowerdew it has to be good enough for me!

It's a nice sunny spot, partly why we moved here!

I was going to add lots of manure to the soil but reading an article by BF he says not to improve the soil. They will be at the back of the veg bed so soil is pretty good anyway.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

4 Seasons

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 18:10 »
If you prune on the double Guyot system you should be able to get two in so I would recommend one of each. Space required would be 4 1/2 ft for each vine. Feeding the soil with manure is OK for the first year to get the vine off to a good start and then after that just feed a fertiliser low in nitrogen to check the growth. Grapes are entering their dormant period so you want to keep anything that you buy in a pot inside until the spring and plant out when all frosts are gone (and I mean well gone). Frost will stop a grape dead in its tracks and maybe kill it if it is not well established.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 18:15 by 4 Seasons »

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 20:41 »
I have done a bit of a googleing into pruning, it might take a bit of working out but I think it will be achievable. I have about 10ft of wall that I am going to use for now so two sound possible.

I was thinking like espalier of apples but I realise now it is quite different!

I will leave getting a vine til next year now, can you recommend a good supplier?

My wall is 50ft long so if it is successful who knows!

4 Seasons

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 20:48 »
Google RVRoger. You will find all the varieties on their site and they are very easy to talk to for advise.

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 21:02 »
I will do, thanks again for the help!

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 06:19 »
I have a grape plant up here in cold Finland. I inherited it from the previous owner. It produces. I have no clue what variety it is.

Although it produces unfortunately the wasps start eating the grapes before they are even ripe. And then they start rotting because of all the half eaten grapes: wasps don't have table manners. And so there is always the rotting fruit smell around the bush at the end of the year. Not pleasant.

In fact I consider pulling the plant out.

Anyone have any tips for this phenomenon?

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 07:53 »
no  but im looking for a seedless grape..the one im digging out has loads of grapesbut they have seeds in them     no one wants them lol

4 Seasons

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17 »
no  but im looking for a seedless grape..the one im digging out has loads of grapesbut they have seeds in them     no one wants them lol

You could always buy a Mehu Lisa juicer and make your own grape juice which is an expensive juice to buy but is good to keep in sterilised bottles. It also works with all berries with seeds in them so it's quite a versatile piece of kit to have and would be cost effective if you grow currants too which are also a problem to eat raw.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 12:20 by 4 Seasons »

4 Seasons

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 12:27 »
I have a grape plant up here in cold Finland. I inherited it from the previous owner. It produces. I have no clue what variety it is.

Although it produces unfortunately the wasps start eating the grapes before they are even ripe. And then they start rotting because of all the half eaten grapes: wasps don't have table manners. And so there is always the rotting fruit smell around the bush at the end of the year. Not pleasant.

In fact I consider pulling the plant out.

Anyone have any tips for this phenomenon?

You could try covering it with enviromesh if that is possible. The grapes would ripen beneath the mesh. Failing that make a load of wasp traps to entice them away from the fruit and keep them topped up with a sweet liquid. It's what I do to stop the hoards trying to get into my bee hives to rob the honey.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 19:30 »
I have a German variety (Phonix), apparently developped for a cooler climate. It is white, but has a beautiful flavour reminiscent of the best kind of muscat flavour you get in grapes in the south of france. I do live in London though.

xx
outdoor grape vine

Started by jaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 03:01
by jaws
xx
grape

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 21:33
by Yorkie
xx
Grape Help

Started by jmlearoyd on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 08:35
by jmlearoyd
xx
Grape vines

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 08, 2010, 19:14
by realfood

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 38 queries.