Raised Beds

• 17 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Raised Beds
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2011, 18:03 »
Thanks all for your responses so far.......will reduce to a 1.2 width and will try again with some different local scaffold companies and if not will take the plunge on E-Bay

I have a load of old compost bags that I kept so was planning on stapling these on the inside of the boards to reduce the moisture into the boards and hopefully give them a longer lifespan......has anyone else done this and is that fine?

Al

My hunch is that you will accelerate any rotting down by doing this.  The plastic will trap moisture behind it and next to the board; the plastic will then prevent the moisture from evaporating and so affecting the board.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2011, 18:06 »
Hunch correct  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

swaine

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2011, 19:41 »
Thanks all for your responses so far.......will reduce to a 1.2 width and will try again with some different local scaffold companies and if not will take the plunge on E-Bay

I have a load of old compost bags that I kept so was planning on stapling these on the inside of the boards to reduce the moisture into the boards and hopefully give them a longer lifespan......has anyone else done this and is that fine?

Al

My hunch is that you will accelerate any rotting down by doing this.  The plastic will trap moisture behind it and next to the board; the plastic will then prevent the moisture from evaporating and so affecting the board.

I'm a little bit hesitant about disagreeing with two moderators with a combined post count of 24074 ( and rising) but here goes!!!

Shieldsy was thinking of putting some old plastic bags on the inside of the boards on his raised beds to stop them rotting.

I did a similar thing. I bought a roll of 11" dpc from a DIY store. Its the sort you use for a damp proof course between courses of brickwork in a house. As I recall it wasnt expensive.

I used that on the inside of the boards. I fastened it securely to the boards using galvanised nails every 6" or so. I made it continuous round the corners of the boards so the water didnt leak at the corners, because thats where any rotting will probably occur first.

So far the boards have remained dry and rot free.

There is an added bonus of lining the inside edge. The soil doesnt seem to dry out as fast, so less watering in dry weather and I guess you can also plant closer to the edge if you are short of growing space (like I am).

If I was going to line the timber, I dont recommend using old compost bags or the like. I dont think they would be durable enough. Show it a fork or trowel and it would probably tear straight away. If you are going to line them, a roll of dpc would be a good investment.

Hope this helps.

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
clip
Raised beds

Started by Ian.wilson on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 10:04
by Yorkie
xx
New raised beds

Started by Brian Green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 14:54
by Brian Green fingers
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Bay Laurel on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 12:41
by Bay Laurel

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.