Cucumber plants..

• 23 Replies

I Love Spuds

• Experienced Member
  • AKA Mike.
Re: Cucumber plants..
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 11:09 »
I grew burpless (which they aren't btw :ohmy:) last year and will/have this year as they did well. My GH is also partially shaded by a tall hedge (not ideal but it was the only place it could go!).  Apart from watering and supporting, I pretty much neglected them, and they were still producing into October!! 1 plant is sufficient for our needs but I'm going to put 2 in, just in case last year was a fluke. Seems cucumbers can be fickle things  :lol:
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes old stuff out of my brain" Homer J Simpson

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 13:20 »
Somehow I managed to really neglect my cucumber plants last year and still got a decent crop. Marketmore sat in 20cm pots with nothing special in terms of the stem, just drowned them regularly.

Plan to treat them a lot better this year. Watch, they'll all keel over XD

Springlands

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 14:01 »
I grew Tiffany last year - they did not get any particularly careful treatment and I got lots and lots of cukes. Out of the four plants that I grew only one looked a bit sad for a while but it soon recovered. Needless to say I am growing them again this year - they will probably totally fail this time.

Totty

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 16:51 »
Cucumbers love it humid. The air should be as close as possible and they will thrive. The dappled light of a polytunnel is perfect, I use a greenhouse but spray some glass white on it. So long as the pot they are originally planted in is well drained and you don't plant any deeper when planting out, neck rot should not be a problem. I put a lot of grit in the 3 inch pots when sowing.

If the humidity is kept up, it should keep the spider mite at bay (I lost all my plants last year to this pest, should have paid more attention to my own advice!) trouble is, tomatoes like the opposite conditions ideally.

Totty

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 06:44 »
Im sure i was told if cucs pollinate then the fruit will have a sour taste, last year i grew burpless and had results of 2 foot cucs !
The greenhouse border is very gritty, i grew them next to toms in buckets and gave them a drink when i watered the toms, usually with a feed in.

Burpless produce all female flowers, im sure you knew that though  ;)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2014, 07:09 »
Regarding pollination, outdoor (ridge) varieties do need to pollinate, which is why it's not a good idea to grow them in the greenhouse alongside varieties that don't.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/how-to-grow-cucumbers
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 08:05 »
Im sure i was told if cucs pollinate then the fruit will have a sour taste, last year i grew burpless and had results of 2 foot cucs !
Burpless produce all female flowers, im sure you knew that though  ;)
Burpless is not all female according to this site (and others)
http://www.seedaholic.com/cucumber-f1-burpless-tasty-green.html
Most pollination is done by insects, but if fruit is failing to set, them the female flowers can pollinated by hand.
To pollinate by hand, take a male flower and remove all its petals, press it against the centre of the female flower.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2014, 08:10 »
Burpless is a ridge cucumber and needs pollination.

lettice

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 12:33 »
I've grown Suttons Burpless F1 tasty green for many many years inside greenhouse and outside with great success.
I do not touch the male and female flowers. Just checked the Suttons packet that will be sowed in 2 weeks and it says;
'Leave both male and female flowers which insects will pollinate'.

I do at least a few days a week open the door of the greenhouse to let the insects in. They are doing their job :)

xx
How big are cucumber plants?

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 16:52
by compostqueen
xx
Cucumber plants

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 08:18
by DD.
xx
Cucumber plants

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 08, 2023, 22:45
by Learnerlady
xx
How many cucumber plants to a growbag please?

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2016, 17:35
by SusieB

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 40 queries.