Companion plants for Asparagus plants

• 17 Replies

Mbmyco2

Companion plants for Asparagus plants
« on: February 19, 2015, 12:02 »
hello looking for suggestions for my asparagus beds tried radishes and they worked just wanted some more suggestions

thanks
Full on Gardening Geek!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Companion plants for Asparagus plants
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 13:01 »
A quick Google says
ASPARAGUS: Friends: Aster family flowers, dill ,coriander, carrots, tomatoes, parsley, basil, comfrey and marigolds. Avoid: Onions, garlic and potatoes.
http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 13:58 »
Just wondering whether you actually mean 'companion plants' or just something (like radish) which you can intercrop between the rows.  :unsure:

If it's the latter, choose quick-growing and shallow rooted crops - you don't want to introduce too much competition with the asparagus roots. Bear in mind that when the ferns grow they will produce a lot of shade, although lettuces would probably be quite happy with that (within reason.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 10:20 »
Having read through there is no mention of squashes. 
Or would they take took much out of the soil?
My asparagus is in its second year so I can't crop it yet (always assuming it comes up this year, of course) and it seems a shame to waste that big "empty" bed
Anne

ptarmigan

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 10:35 »
Squashes are big greedy plants - I think unless you can plant them in the corner of the bed in a big pile of muck and then trail the leaves round - they might be a bit thuggish.   

lettuces sounds like a good idea and they would suppress weeds too without being too much competition.  I have self sown borage and calendula round mine for the bees.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 10:47 »
Hopefully there's a lot more going on under the surface than can be seen from above it - my crowns spread to 12"-18" across in 5 years, and the root spread is even wider than that (and much deeper.)

At 2 years, given reasonable spacing between the rows (if you have more than one row) you probably could grow a few squashes at a respectful distance from the crowns, but whatever you try you need to give some thought as to where the ferns will cast their shadows during the summer and autumn - squashes in particular would not appreciate any shading.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 14:47 »
I edge the bed with French marigolds, as it faces the sun, but have found that anything actually within the bed itself is pretty much shaded out by the fern when it grows.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jambop

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 17:40 »
You have chosen to grow asparagus and have tied up the ground they grow on ... it was your choice the plants need the ground hard lines. Asparagus are a demanding plant and you need to treat them right if you want a crop, which of course you do, growing something else in the bed will only detract from the asparagus which is what you are wanting to grow. Its a tough decision but if you want to grow plants that require a permanent bed you have to think about it long term and not make the mistake it would appear you have. In short you cannot have your cake and eat it :) so you better choose what you really want!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 18:11 »
and not make the mistake it would appear you have.
I don't think  have made any mistakes! At least not with the asparagus anyway. :nowink: I was only wondering if there was anything I could grow alongside while it was still young and not taking up the whole bed. I'm always looking to maximise my use of limited space.

jambop

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 19:34 »
 Cool that is good but why then are you trying to stifle a young asparagus bed? When you want to grow asparagus don't try to multi task the land or the result will be poor asparagus! If you have limited space don't grow asparagus it is not worth it!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 19:37 by jambop »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 21:43 »
I was only wondering if there was anything I could grow alongside while it was still young and not taking up the whole bed
I've seen some photos of crowns in their first summer after planting looking a bit weedy, but when I planted mine (one year old, potted, grown from seed the year before) nothing would have survived in the bed.

Asparagus is very shallow rooted, adn the roots are "everything" in terms of being able to provide energy to the plants to produce loads of spears during the cutting season ... so I'm not sure growing anything else would be worthwhile

Year One

Year Two

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 22:25 »
Impressive! Mine produced nothing like that last year but I wasn't expecting anything much seeing as how they only went in in the April. No sign of anything this year so far.
If they aren't better this year they will probably be discarded, as has been said I only have limited space.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:15 »
Just in case anyone has noticed that I stated that asparagus has roots spreading wide and deep, but Kristen has stated that they are shallow rooted, here's an extract from an extremely, ahem, in depth, study about asparagus root structure. The whole article will probably tell you rather more than you really want to know, but I think it's fair to say that Kristen and I are both right!  ;)

Summary.--Asparagus is a perennial plant with a very extensive root system, which arises from a thick rootstock which grows from year to year. The primary root is only a few inches long and is short lived. It is soon replaced by the thick, long, storage roots which are clothed with short, absorbing laterals. The root system, under favorable conditions, may extend to a depth of 3 feet or more during the first season of growth. With the growth of the rhizome, the roots greatly increase in number. Many radiate into the surface soil 4 to 6 feet even in compact silt loam. Others grow outward and downward and then pursue a vertically downward course. Finally, numerous roots grow almost vertically downward. Thus a very large soil volume is occupied to a working depth of 4.5 feet. Some roots are 9 to 10.5 feet long. Branching is, however, most abundant, and undoubtedly absorption is very active in the surface foot of soil.

Extract from:
http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010137veg.roots/010137ch6.html

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 09:20 »
Thanks for the clarification JayG. I can see why they are left to themselves in a bed.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:44 »
Hi JayG many thanks for the research paper. I have no excuse now for neglecting my asparagus bed. Just hope I planted them correctly in the first place!!😨😨

Cheers HH
Keep digging

xx
Companion Plants for potatoes

Started by Kabby on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 20:30
by gobs
xx
Sweetcorn companion plants

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 18:40
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Companion Plants for Runner Beans

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 21:23
by comfreykid
xx
Companion plants in raised bed paths

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 20:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 40 queries.