raised beds

• 16 Replies

CHRIS THE VEG

raised beds
« on: May 02, 2007, 22:47 »
hi got raised beds at home turned half my back to veg ive now got half plot that ive cleared nearly it  got the hard standing in for two sheds and put miden up to the smelly suff in going to build a compost bin well 3 really then start the raised beds prob about 10 to 15 beds.
now the old timer down on the plots are all not happy with our lane because most on the lane are all going the raised bed way they say it a waste os space due to the paths etc so what are your views on raised beds
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :?  :? thanks
chris the veg :roll:  :roll:
home grown is best

crowndale

raised beds
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 08:15 »
I think if they don't like raised beds they shouldn't use them themselves!   :wink:
At the end of the day its a personal preference just as is no dig method of vege growing versus double digging versus just digging the top layer, or being organic or not organic.  No one is forcing them to use raised beds on their plots.  Myself, I have a mix of both raised beds and open ground in my back garden and will do the same when I get a plot.  The raised beds look really nice and neat (thus satisfying the need to control my environment!!), but I prefer some crops in the open like spuds and some in raised like salads and carrots.  Personal preference, don't let them bug you!  :D
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
raised beds
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 09:12 »
The old boys have complained about many things on our site, there are some wonderfull country garden style plots, people grow cut flowers in rows by their veg, but at the end of the day it matters not what is grown or how so long as it is tidy and people get pleasure out of it, some plot holders live in flats so enjoy the flower side of it. Times are changing (well according to Bob Dylan) and the elder boys have to accept it or go. My thoughts anyway.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sam K.

raised beds
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 14:22 »
Had long rows and liked the idea of raised beds. Now I have raised beds, though would quite like long rows.

At least they know what they want.

As my veg patch is right beside the house and in full view of the patio raised beds do look better all year around.

Although all the double digging and making them nearly killed me, as yet I cannot say if they are easier to manage as I have not been running with them for long

I would say if I had a plot as well I would go for long rows and crack out the merry tiller, I could not face making all the beds again.

Do what you want, but keep the old boys on side they will hopefully have allot of experience to offer.
Sam.

Organic with treated timber present.
What can you do? I don't want the house to fall down.

Gwiz

raised beds
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 17:39 »
ive got half and half, but will go all over to raised beds next winter, its a bad back thing. :D

Sam K.

they say it a waste os space due to the paths etc
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 09:50 »
"They say it a waste of space due to the paths etc”

Rather than making individual beds I built big E's though I was originally going to have S's I thought Es would be better.

They are a bit like keyhole beds though with strait lines easier to make with wood! :wink:

A little less path?

Not sure on how to put a picture on a thread though I have downloaded onto the photo section under allotments.

apes1978

raised beds
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 12:02 »
I really like the idea of raised beds, but my neighbour on the plot next door moans about anything, we have some slabs by our shed, for sitting and doing stuff so we are not on the mud all the time and he moans that we could have stuff growing in there! i dont know if i could stand all the snide remarks if i was making raised beds, but someone else on the plot said that we could grass the lot over and play bowls if we wanted to as it is ours!

apes1978

raised beds
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 12:04 »
I really like the idea of raised beds, but my neighbour on the plot next door moans about anything, we have some slabs by our shed, for sitting and doing stuff so we are not on the mud all the time and he moans that we could have stuff growing in there! i dont know if i could stand all the snide remarks if i was making raised beds, but someone else on the plot said that we could grass the lot over and play bowls if we wanted to as it is ours!

Losttheplot

raised beds
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 13:05 »
Hi

We have just started buliding raised beds for our plot and I must say it looks really neat and tidy.  the paths are underlay and bark chipping and although a bit of a back-breaker to do will hopefully keep out the weeds.  The frames were pretty east to make aswell, the only thing is the cost so we are doing it slowly and buying the bits of wood each month between us.  The beds we have haven't done yet are just marked out and then the frame will go on top of them when they are built and all the dirt from the path is making them raised!!  We have had lots of people comment on haow nice they look and there have been a few others doing the same!!
Go for it I say!!!
Hayles.xxx

WG.

raised beds
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 15:10 »
I don't use raised beds myself but must say that neither do I buy in to the "wasted space" argument.  You'll be able to plant big veg right up to the edges and things like parsnip, courgette and tatties will virtually cover the paths with their foliage anyway.

pwgun

raised beds
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 10:07 »
allotments are for growing stuff. so as long as stuff grows and you arnt breaking any site rules, ignore them.
When the sun shines i dig,
When rain pours i dig
When the wind blows---I SURF.

Allan

DoctorJon

raised beds
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 17:24 »
We've put raised beds up this year after gardening au naturelle last. I have to say it's one of our better ideas - much easier to weed, much more efficient use of space, much better conditions and more controllable conditions...

In less space than we were using last year we are expecting probably double the crop simply because its so much more manageable, you don't lose as much to encroaching weeds and grass and we're also finding it much easier to net where necessary...

So yes... I think raised beds are good
If you really mean it, it all comes round again

Trillium

raised beds
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 21:31 »
I prefer raised beds, but mine aren't bound with wood, but simply mounded up. I scoop up the good path soil and toss it into the beds. The paths are barely a foot wide, covered with enviromesh strips and topped with shredded bark I get free from the county. The beds themselves are about 3ft wide and dug over well so that roots can roam freely and I can pack a lot of plants in since I never walk on the beds. True, it is a bit tight walking through mature veg plants, but it doesn't matter. The plants thrive that I can afford a bit of waste of stepped-on veg, which the rodents seem to prefer anyway. My beans, peas, beets, snips, onions, garlic and carrots are in the raised beds. Spuds and fruit bushes are in flat plots due to their different growing nature.
My mother, however, prefers flat ground. At 83, she's not up to spading over soil or mounding. Her neighbours come with tractor pulled tillers and do up her soil for her so that she just has to plant, weed and harvest. It's also the only way she's ever grown things and can't change. Must mention that she can out-work me in the garden any day though.

I think the old timers object to some garden paths I've seen in piccys that are about 3 ft wide all around. Now, that is wasted space.

noshed

raised beds
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 21:34 »
Can you put up some pics Trillium, that sounds interesting?
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

fatgit

raised beds
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007, 21:03 »
The extension to our plot is in such a bad state that traditional beds were impossible without taking the top 2feet off and putting in new soil, as it used to have brick garages on it in the past, which were demolished, and the debris just buried, and the cost would have been prohibitive. We only actually took it on to stop it being used by scramble bikes, but intend to make good use of it.

In addition to that, there are some huge roots to a a Pear tree and an Apple Tree running close to the surface in about 1/5 of the area, again making it difficult.

What we've done, is to build 3 raised beds (so far) out of old pallets. Each bed is about 4ft*4ft*2.5ft deep, and the cost from the pallet yard was £15 in total, and then £4 for some wood treatment.
Before each bed was put in place, we dug a hole 4ft*4ft wide and 1ft-2ft deep depending on how bad it was underneath, and took all the rubble out, then put the beds in, and filled them in again.
We've been given a load of well rotted manure, and there's a ton of top soil being delivered tomorrow, which should bring each bed to within 1ft of the tops.
The space thats left, we can fit in one more large raised bed, and possibly some small, long beds, and then finish off with a gravel or bark chip base plus containers.

It's been a lot of hard work, but on land where traditional beds are impractical, it's a good alternative.
Organic where possible, unless it involves the snails that now seem to be eating the slug pellets for fun

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Trina1350 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 17:39
by CHRISDONOHUE
xx
raised beds

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 04, 2007, 21:48
by Trillium
clip
Raised Beds

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 04, 2014, 23:04
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.