container query and project

• 8 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
container query and project
« on: April 26, 2018, 13:06 »
I had to give up my allotment some time ago due to a serious back injury but am now trying to grow what I can in pots and containers. I have a few cat litter trays which were used for starting off leeks and am wondering if they would be deep enough to grow cut and come salad leaves? I’ve also got some Paris Silverskin pickling onions, unsure of what depth they would need.
I am testing a parsnip growing method. I have an old storage box 24”x 14”x 14”, drilled holes at bottom and filled two thirds with compost. I have cut the tops and bottoms off 20 2litre soft drink bottles and placed them upright on the compost, filled them with compost and sown the parsnip seeds on top. This gives a total depth of nearly 19”. Trying Guernsey a shorter variety.

snowdrops

Re: container query and project
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 14:20 »
Yes the lettuce will be fine I just use a seed tray with drainage holes for cut & come again. The parsnip container sounds a great idea, please post an plate when you harvest them, it will be a bit like how they grow those giant competition parsnips
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 16:26 »
Worth having a look at the Home Grown Veg channel on Youtube - lots stuff on there grown in containers such as flower buckets.

Notty1975

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 21:14 »
Worth having a look at the Home Grown Veg channel on Youtube - lots stuff on there grown in containers such as flower buckets.

I like the home grown veg channel he does some really good things and tests with different compost etc I like the spud challenge he done in the flower buckets and that assistance dog he got is brilliant knows to bring the small watering can like

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 13:33 »
I like the home grown veg channel he does some really good things and tests with different compost etc I like the spud challenge he done in the flower buckets and that assistance dog he got is brilliant knows to bring the small watering can like

I've not seen Meg bring the watering can yet - I only discovered the channel recently - bit will keep a look out! I've got a some flower buckets some shallots and plenty of carrot seed so might see what I can get from them on the patio at home.

Notty1975

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 16:22 »

I've not seen Meg bring the watering can yet - I only discovered the channel recently - bit will keep a look out! I've got a some flower buckets some shallots and plenty of carrot seed so might see what I can get from them on the patio at home.

Have a look at the parsnip one it’s on that one

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 19:36 »
Thanks for the link to that channel. Had a look at several, but I'm not to sure that I would use as much fertilizer for the carrots as he does.

Mr Dog

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 19:53 »
Thanks for the link to that channel. Had a look at several, but I'm not to sure that I would use as much fertilizer for the carrots as he does.

It certainly looks to work though 😉 I know someone who grows show carrots and he puts far more additives (including manure) into his growing mix than I would have ever dreamed of doing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 19:55 by Mr Dog »

Notty1975

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 20:03 »

It certainly looks to work though 😉 I know someone who grows show carrots and he puts far more additives (including manure) into his growing mix than I would have ever dreamed of doing.
Im trying it myself got a 12” high bed that was filled with sifted soil and aged manure put a couple of rows of early Nantes in in between some spring onions and garlic chives (apparently alliums help stop carrot fly because of their smell)

xx
Design Project -Vegetable Container gardening

Started by cc85 on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 15:45
by laurals11
xx
Container carrots

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 15:25
by Azazello
xx
Container Gardening

Started by Mago on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post January 14, 2007, 14:03
by muntjac
xx
Container Gardening Car

Started by Simon Newman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 24, 2007, 22:56
by starmoonlilly

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 47 queries.