Preparing plot for next year

• 9 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Preparing plot for next year
« on: August 12, 2015, 14:24 »
I got a new half plot on the local allotment back in March. It was not too bad, a few weeds and grass. I decided to turn it over and get as much planted as I could. I left about a quarter under plastic as it was very badly overgrown. I have had a good crop of a variety of veg from it this summer, but have a lot of weeds that have grown up among the veg that I have tried to keep on top of (anything from thistles, dandelions, buttercups and mares tail).

Now growing is coming to an end I want to prepare for next year's planting. Question is, should I put down some weed killer first and then dig over and cover with stable manure? I have some leeks in for the winter at one end and also some strawberries, so don't want to harm these. Is weed killer a good idea. I know it won't get rid of the mares tail, but the other weeds are quite a problem.

crh75

Re: Preparing plot for next year
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 14:34 »
Personally, as you have all winter, I would carefully dig it over adding manure.  Then keep weeding - it will get easier.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 14:34 »
It's a personal choice really, I don't use weedkiller on areas where I grow veg, but do use it to keep on top of round the edges and paths.

First year I dug up as many weeds as possible before the winter and then either put a thick layer of mulch down on the beds, sometimes over cardboard, sometimes straight on the bed or sowed green manure on the beds to overwinter.

Used spent mushroom compost on the beds as I could get that delivered quite cheaply.  I used cardboard on the beds where I hadn't done a very thorough dig (so only removed a few real nasties) and then covered up.

Every year since then it's got significantly easier to make the beds ready to take a covering of mulch over the winter.

HOwever you remove the weeds - do think about getting some mulch on afterwards.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 15:08 »
Or weed, mulch, cover a small area at a time through the winter.  I find that soil that has had a good lot of muck on it and has been covered for a couple of months or more through the winter comes out as lovely crumbly stuff, mainly weed free and ready to start in the Spring of next year.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 22:16 »
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I better get digging and mulching very soon. Good exercise I suppose.....just need to get motivated!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 22:18 by heygrow »

JoshP

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 22:27 »
A product called Kurtail will kill the mares tail. Personally I would spray with glyphosate to kill any perennial weeds, but it's a personal choice. Glyphosate will have plenty of time to break down in the soil over the winter, so no worries there.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 06:54 »
A product called Kurtail will kill the mares tail.

Kurtail is for professional use only, so should only be used if you have the correct training, safety gear and pesticide storage facilites  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 09:30 »
A product called Kurtail will kill the mares tail.

Kurtail is for professional use only, so should only be used if you have the correct training, safety gear and pesticide storage facilites  ;)

Plus it doesn't kill it, just knocks it back. You need repeat applications of it. It's a neurotoxin, which is why it has so many safety issues.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:51 »
Will the glyphosate get into the leeks or strawberries if I am careful not to spray near them?

crh75

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 15:08 »
Glyphosate breaks down on contact with the soil.  So as long as the spray doesn't touch them they will be fine.

xx
Preparing Plot For Next Year

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 00:42
by muntjac
xx
Preparing brassica bed for next year!

Started by Donnay on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 19, 2013, 18:21
by pigguns
xx
Preparing to grow toms after blight last year?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 15:55
by DD.
xx
Help with preparing the plot for winter.

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2012, 18:00
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 39 queries.