1st Year On The Plot

• 10 Replies

Mr Dog

1st Year On The Plot
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:16 »
I’ve had my plot now for almost 14 months and what a fantastic time I’ve had. Apart from meeting new friends, the fresh air and exercise, highlights for me have been:
-   having space for a greenhouse and a huge crop of tomatoes
-   winter squash (only sampled my crown prince so far, but what a lovely flavour both roasted and simply boiled to make soup. Because of the size of the plant I wasn’t going to bother with it next year until I tasted it). Honey Bear and Uchiki Kuri still to sample.
-   my first experience of tasting homegrown sweetcorn – yum yum!
-   ‘proper’ sized homegrown onions and garlic
-   homegrown broccoli (never had heads more than an inch or so across before)
-   huge, non woody, beetroot
-   loads of beans
-   courgettes and discovering crookneck squash and marrows

And of course there’s been a few disappointments:
-   no show of carrots and parsnips sown directly into the soil (I’ve got a few parsnips from chitting and some donated module sown seeds)
-   maincrop potatoes affected by blight, even though they were supposedly resistant (Sarpo Mira and Blue Danube)
-   slugs getting my butterbush and patty pan plants before they got going and infesting my lettuce and chicory.

I’m now embarking on my second year and looking forward to it. All I could do with now is a bigger shed, a bigger freezer…….

Christine

Re: 1st Year On The Plot
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:28 »
It's great fun isn't it? and even better when you count your successes. Carrots I don't bother with as carrot fly loves mine more than me.

The blue slug pellet of death is essential around squash and salad stuff. Buy yourself a big sized bottle as a present in the coming season (or ask friends to buy you some!). And hope for a properly cold winter to reduce the slug and snail population.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:34 »
Great results Mr Dog.  :D What encouragement for next season.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41 »
It's great fun isn't it?

Isn't it just!

...The blue slug pellet of death is essential around squash and salad stuff. ...

I know, I've got a very large tub  ;) They were used but to no avail - my other squashes, brassicas, beans and even tomatoes fortunately survived the slug onslaught.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:43 by Mr Dog »

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46 »

Although my back is aching at the mere thought of digging  :D Same approach as last year though, little by little. On the plus side there's a bit less to do as some space is occupied by winter veg.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 09:53 »

Thankyou, and yes I (and the missus) are very pleased. We can't rememebr the last time we bought veg from a shop,

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 11:27 »
Well done Mr Dog, sounds like you've been very busy on your plot. It's so rewarding when you harvest those yummy crops! I had the same problem as you with the carrots, my soil is very clay based, how about yours? What I did this year was make a rill in the soil and sprinkled compost in, then planted seed in that, covering with a bit more compost. Carrots have grown very well. Slug pellets essential!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 11:29 by Middlesexbloke »

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 13:04 »
I've grown direct-sown seeds that way before with good success, especially if I watered the rill before sowing then, after sowing, patted more compost on top but added no water - just seems to help I think.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 13:11 »
Growing veg has to be one of the most rewarding hobbies ever. Well, it certainly is for me. Glad you've had a good year.

I thought I was useless at growing carrots but this year I've had a fair bit of success. The thing that made the most difference was not giving up on the seeds. They took far longer to germinate than I ever imagined, but I persevered, giving them a gentle water with a rose on the can and eventually they came good. I also used some seed tape from Lidl for one lot, which worked very well and was much cheaper than tape from other places. Couldn't possibly be easier either.

Parsnips are a constant problem. I eventually went back to paper pots this year. But I've found some parsnip seed tape, so I'm hoping that might work. If not, I'll just sow some in paper pots a bit later on.

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 17:26 »
Well done Mr Dog, sounds like you've been very busy on your plot. It's so rewarding when you harvest those yummy crops! I had the same problem as you with the carrots, my soil is very clay based, how about yours? What I did this year was make a rill in the soil and sprinkled compost in, then planted seed in that, covering with a bit more compost. Carrots have grown very well. Slug pellets essential!!

Mine soil's clay based too. I tried a similar method with compost as you but it didn't work. I've had a successful crop of nantes and chantenay from tubs and during the year aquired an old bath that's currently holding what looks like some decent sized autumn king and cosmic purple.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 19:17 »
Well done  :D

You can always do with (another) (bigger) freezer ...  8)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
This year my plot ....

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 08:34
by Christine
xx
Would you take on a plot for just a year or two?

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 10:43
by Ema
xx
Best way to add fertility to plot in year 1

Started by Kelebek on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 14, 2020, 17:40
by Thrutchington
xx
Preparing plot for next year

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 15:08
by crh75

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.