ID Please

• 5 Replies

laura63

ID Please
« on: February 25, 2012, 12:21 »
We have just taken in two cockerels that were found dumped on a housing estate.  At first I thought they were Light Sussex but upon closer inspection, somehow they both have a toe that has been bent back and attached itself to their legs! 

Not sure if this photo shows that, at first I thought they had a problem with mite on their legs as it looks like scaly leg.

Could they be Dorkings?
2 x cocks.jpg

Tony H

• Experienced Member
Re: ID Please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:41 »
Hi i have seen this before some people do that so they can have a metal spur fitted for fighting so called sport, nasty people  :tongue2: the cockerels may have escaped  :nowink:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:43 by DD. »
Chicken crazy

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 14:56 »
Their legs do look scaly so it would be best to treat them to be on the safe side.  Well done for rescuing them.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Spana

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 15:45 »
Are you sure they are not the spurs which cockerels get.  Sometimes they grow and turn and embed into the leg. :unsure: Cant quite see clearly in the photo :unsure:

I also think they look a bit scaly leg mite-ish. :)

If there is any Dorking in them its not very much ::)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 21:40 »
I'd say that they are both light sussex crosses, and have probably been used for bait in cock fights.  It is not normal to see dubbed combs in fully grown birds like these are.

The one sharp protuberance you can see in the front cocerkel is a normal spur which is either naturally sharp, or has been artificially sharpened.

laura63

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43 »
Thanks for all your replies  ;) The vet has had a good look at them and agreed that it certainly looked like a bent back toe, but has actually suffered bad scaly leg.  They both have got mite but other than that they are reasonably healthy.  :)

Now we are busy making them a pen to keep them in!

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 39 queries.