A beginner with 2 georgous Buff orpingtons who won't roost!!

• 4 Replies

Michelle

We had delivery of our two Buff Orpington's last week (Gregory and Hilary) he's being a pain as he won't use the ramp to go in or come out. I've since read that this breed isn't too keen on ramps so we're looking to change the house, we've tried forcing him down but he's having none of it!. Hilary seems to be fine with it but won't go in at dusk because he won't. I've also noticed that they're not roosting, they're sleeping on the floor of the house. It's raised on legs to allow a bigger run space when they're not roaming. Is this detrimental to them and if so how do I get them to roost?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Michelle

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:24 »
buffs  are small birds , have you got the roost to high off the floor /10 inches on one side of the hut is enough .if the chicken is new to you then its new to the hut so dont worry about them roosting or not roosting they will go in and out soon enough so long as they have acces to water and food they will be fine and the hut and run conditions are perfick

mom on eggs
still alive /............

sorrel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 13:36 »
I have a buff orp... and she is huge...

She happily goes up and down a ramp too,  however if the birds are young some of them  take a while before the seem to get the hang of it.   As for the roosting problem, you can try picking them up and placing them of the perch (basically showing them what to do), or I've found if you give them a couple of weeks to get used to it - they will start to roost of their own accord.   When  I used to buy  young birds (I hatch my own now and its great, much more fun)  I have shut them in the coop for a few hours so they realise its home and then just opended the pop hole eventually they will come out.
Starting from scratch............

Michelle

2 Buff Orpingtons
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 14:14 »
Thanks folks,
Buffs are a heavy, soft feather breed and are supposed to be quite docile but we had success over the weekend (hurray), at last he's using the ramp, we made the hole a little larger for him and he seems to be much happier.  I'll try placing them on the perch if they don't get it in a couple of weeks, they are both young so hopefully it will be like the ramp. One step at a time.

Have a good Christmas

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 22:41 »
for buffs being small .... please read .. bantam ,, im not to well in the thinking stages thei week . :cry:

xx
Do your Buff Orpingtons sleep on roost bar?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 20:34
by Honeysuckle
xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by Indiana on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 13:44
by Aunt Sally
xx
buff orpingtons

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 14, 2007, 21:28
by richyrich7
xx
Buff Orpingtons

Started by sunny side up on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 09:02
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 38 queries.