Feliway diffusers

• 9 Replies

Nails

• Experienced Member
    • www.justgiving.com/Donna-Moon
Feliway diffusers
« on: November 01, 2009, 20:28 »
A few weeks ago I posted a topic on here about my cat, who for some reason keeps running away from home and going back to where I used to live (a mile up the road) we have a multi cat house 7 in total, (long story as to why that many)
I will try and keep the story short..............
I moved a mile down the road sep 2008, I kept my 4 cats locked in for 4 weeks, and then let them do their own thing, for the first few months everything was fine, they all came back for dinner and brekky, then Murphy took it upon himself to go back to my old house. (Luckily my daughter was living there) so when he turned up there she called and I went up and got him, kept him in for a week and then let him out again.
This went on for 6 months, until she moved, and I had new tenants go into my house.
they have a dog and a cat, imagine the surprise Murphy got when he went through the window and came face to face with a husky x ali!!!!!
It certainly stopped him going back there!!!!!
But he found refuge in a house over the road, where the only occupant was a cat and a single man, who felt sorry for him and started feeding him!
I put posters round and he rung me and told me he was at his house some 4 weeks after he left here, so I got in the car and went and picked him up, and brought him home, kept him in for 2 weeks and let him out again, you guessed 2 days later I had a call from Nick and Murphy was back there!!! this has gone on for 4 weeks, I spoke to a nurse at the vets, who told me to tell Nick to make his house a horrid place to be, i.e. squirt water at him, shoo him away etc, and when I pick him up to drive around the block to disorientate him, well none of this is working, and tonight I have been and picked him back up yet again, after he went again Friday eve, he had been home 2 days, I took him on a 7 mile detour this evening in the vain hope that it will be enough!!!!! I have tried all I can, and am now at the end of my tether..........
After that very long story, what I need to know is has anyone used the Feliway products, especially the diffuser, as I believe him to be stressed and want to use them.
None of the other cats seem to wander off.
Dont count ya chickens till they hatch!!!!!

faye

• pawprints animal rescue
Re: Feliway diffusers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 20:36 »
i've used the plug in feliway here where i do cat rescue work and it has helped with reducing spraying when (neutered!) boys were unsettled by new arrivals.

i've not dealt with cats returning to a previous home so am no help there!  ::)

good luck, sounds stressful  :(

faye

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 20:38 »
I have had problems with spraying too.
All the cats have been done, i just don't know what to do with him, i worry as soon as he has gone to the minute i get him back, and then the worry starts all over again.
Are the diffusers expensive?

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 20:43 »
I use feliway, both the diffuser and the spray. I too have a multicat house with 7 and I foster so always ahve a "lodger" in the spare room along with 2 house rabbits  ::) It really does help new cats settle and calm them down.

My own cats are all relatively calm, but the oldest cat Arwen sometimes needs calming as the others (being young uns) can stress her and I find using the feliway spray on her favorite blanket on the sofa or my bed works. I reassure her more than the others as she is top cat and gets stressed when the hierarchy changes.

Try lots of one-on-one attention and find him a spot in the house that he finds safe and spray the area with feliway and put on a plug in as well. Keep him in there with the litter tray for a week, making sure he does have time with the other cats as well during this period. You need him to strongly bond with you and the other cats again as this is what will stop him going back again.

Feed him treats as well to make him associate you with food, cupboard love and cats is a good way forward  ::) Lots of play as well will make him happier, mine love laser pens and it encourages them to play together which helps for a multi-cat house. Make sure the gentleman who he is going to is really not feeding or encouraging him as well, my neighbour swore he wasnt feeding mine until I caught him chicken in hand!

Also, is he neutered? If not this will help to stop problems with him straying back. EDIT: sorry see he is done, what ages was he done at?

Cara x

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 21:05 »
I do most of that and when he is back he is like a pimple on my backside!! Doesn't leave my side, then i go to bed or work and thats it he is off again

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 21:10 »
There's little more that can be done than that sadly  :( If you add the feliway for the stress it may help, but there is little more that I suspect can be done. Sadly sometimes they do decide they just prefer another house adn in this case he must have really loved your old place and felt secure there. I'm gathering that three of the cats came in after you moved? Did it change the hierarchy at all? The diffusers cost about £15 if you get them online. I have a half bottle of the spray I can send you that you can try out if you'd like it as I have another full bottle for mine.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 21:35 »
OOOOOOh thank you that would be great, how shall i let you know my address?
No the other 3 were already here, when i moved in with my partner, i had 4.
they all seem to get on well, apart from Murphy has a problem with my partners female. they tolerate each other.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 21:38 »
If you PM me your addy I'll pop in the post tomorrow - I cant promise when it will arrive though with the strike backlog  ::) I wonder if there are jealousy issues underlying with the other cats, and the female especially, having already being established. Hmmm, I'll have a think on it and when I next meet up with other cats protection people see what they think for any other tips to help.

Nails

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 22:04 »
Please forgive my ignorance PM????
Still very new to this site, and have normally been using the Hen House Forum for help with my chooks

Donna

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 22:10 »
Personal message. If you look at the top left there is a message function to send a private message to another forum member  :)

xx
Feliway

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 19:49
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Anyone used Feliway?

Started by Goosegirl on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post January 05, 2014, 22:32
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.