Housetraining tips

• 27 Replies

RIKJD89

Housetraining tips
« on: October 06, 2009, 19:29 »
Just wondering if anybody has any tips?

Iv just taken in a 6month old Staff off a friend who had given up with the the dog due to being, well lazy if im honest! Anyway he said he had tried rubbing its nose in the mess and that kind of thing... I personally didnt have to do this while training my dog as he just picked it up naturally so im stuck as to which way to go about things.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
Re: Housetraining tips
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 20:18 »
Rubbing his nose in it?

Eek!

Kindness! That's all dogs need.
Give him encouragement and it'll be fine.
Dogs want to please their owner, so show him you're pleased when he does it outside and not in....
....... Won't take long......

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 20:29 »
Keep taking him outside , especially after sleeping , plenty of praise. Good luck :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

wighty

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 20:56 »
my neighbours must have thought we were mad as when we have had all four of our Boxer puppies we went outside after meals  and said 'hurry up'' and rewarded when they did what we wanted them to do.  'There's a cat in the garden' did for when we  wanted them to do a wee in the garden at lunch time, even though there wasn't.  Language association with an 'action' is a very good tool with dogs.

Rubellite

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 22:09 »
Indoor kennel  ;)
They don't like to mess in their own bed so an indoor kennel for night time and if you're going out during the day. They soon get used to it, my puppies (5 + 6 months) put themselves to bed now.
Take him out every time he wakes and immediately after food. Lots of praise when he performs, he'll soon get the hang of it  :)

RIKJD89

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 22:22 »
Ye she had a cage when we got her but id prefer not to use one as i dont with my other dog, but ill try an praise her everytime and just hope for the best! as for let her out when she wakes i delayed for about thirty seconds an she peed on the stairs lol but im confident ptience and praise is the key as you guys are all saying.

Thenks for the advice.

Rubellite

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 22:32 »
If she's used to a cage then you're halfway there.
Don't use it to punish her, then she'll just see it as "her" space.
I used to think they were cruel until I saw how mine viewed theirs.
I only use them when they are puppies. Mine have been clean for a couple of months now  :)

Thrift

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 22:47 »
I agree; patience and praise are key issues.

Keep to a regular time table for feeds and take outside, preferably to the same spot, after feeds and sleeping.Then lots of praise on performance.

Always worked for me. Enjoy your pup, I'm very envious!

Vember

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 22:48 »
Having got a collie that was a chewer we decided when we got the next one that she would have a cage to begin with. Gem slept in it and went in it when we were out, and she never once had an accident :)
It got to the stage where if we fetched them in she would lie in her cage with the door open, she was happy it was her space :D

Pip came along and I did the same with her to begin with and again we've never had a problem :D

I would definitely recommend using one and agree 100% with Rube :)

Sarah :) (owned by 5 dogs  :blush:  :lol: )

kitkat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00 »
I also think the cages are a good idea, if its used for their space and not punishment its just like another bed to them

RIKJD89

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 09:55 »
ye it does become a safe haven for them but i didnt have it set up last night and she slept downstairs with the other dog fine apart from one little accident, but on the plus side she did bark and scratch at the living room door at the time i just didn realise until too late as i was dead to the world lol

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33 »
one accident isn't too bad.  Just clear it up without a fuss and praise good behaviour  :)
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

RIKJD89

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 20:30 »
ye im takin that approach at the mmoment but have just heard off somebody else that the former owner took a very heavy handed approach to the dog and didnt give any time towards any other aspect to traing or even just walking so i think with a bit of tlc shell come on leaps and bounds

rickman

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 09:12 »
Encouragement, praise, reward..

Small treats as part of the daily food allowance used as positive reinforcement for good behaviour, which eventually can be replaced by verbal praise and patting/stroking.

Shouting at or telling a dog off(usually after the event) causes confusion and distrust, the dog may not remember what it has done, and the owner appears erratic and untrustworthy in the dogs eyes, which leads to fear and negative behaviours in the dog.
Andy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 09:19 »
Have to agree with having a cage, after having gone through several settees, carpets, shoes infact just about anything and everything with my previous dogs. When we got olliepops the Neapolitan we decided that would be our first purchase - the largest size available. Best thing we ever did, no chewing, no mess oozing through your toes when you come downstairs half asleep and then when they are bigger it then becomes a home for broody chickens - or at least those that you don't want to be broody  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 35 queries.