Butternut squash

• 6 Replies

debbiedoll

Butternut squash
« on: August 23, 2008, 18:33 »
I'm trying to grow Butternut squash but only have male flowering buds, Does anyone have any suggestions on where I'm going wrong? Thanks.
Dangerous with a trowel!

vegmandan

Butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 20:22 »
I had the same problem and then I only got females and no males.

I just pinched out the tips of the plant at about 6ft to encourage side shoots and then I seemed to get both male and females at the same time.

Don't know whether this is the right thing to do but it worked for me. :D

jb

• Experienced Member
Butternut squash
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 20:32 »
Most squash produce lots of male flowers first and then produce
female flowers after, so as long as they are producing lots of flowers don't worry it's the nature plants rather than anything you are doing wrong.

Lemon

Butternut squash
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:07 »
I've found with ALL my squashes/courgettes this year is that I ONLY have male flowers no females.  :(
I agree that the first 2-3 flowers are males but then you get the females and no males, then a good mix.  I can only see male flower shoots emerging from the stem and that goes for my courgettes, butternut squash and my patty pan squash (they are round, flat and scalloped shaped - UFO like really!).
Mama Hen to Bokky (Lt Sussex X) & Korma (R.I.R X) & wife to Chookie Papa

jb

• Experienced Member
Butternut squash
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 12:47 »
My patty pans are very similar, Lemon, I have 1 female fruit and loads of male flowers, although I think I can now see lots of small females appearing (but it could be blind hope :? ). However I had a similar situation with my yellow crooknecks that I got out much earlier which produced nothing but males for 6 weeks but are now producing lots of females (I have had 10+ fruit off each plant with another 10+ still developing). A neighbour's courgettes have been behaved in exactly the same way. My only squash that has produced females relatively quickly are my little gem.
This is only the second year I have tried curcurbits, last year my courgettes were a disaster, so I would love a 'normal' summer ( :D ) next year to see how they should grow under standard conditions. Could anyone advise whether it is getting a bit late for fruit setting and should we all be keeping our fingers crossed for an Indian summer.

debbiedoll

Butternut squash
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 19:15 »
Thanks for the advice,I shall be keeping my fingers crossed for that Indian Summer and not worry too much about this years crop. I have to say my courgettes have been fine, in fact I can't pick then quick enough, oh well, has anyone got good recipes for marrows!!!

Lemon

Butternut squash
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 22:41 »
they usually still keep cropping into early autumn.  We usually holiday in ladt two weeks of Sept and I'm tempted to pull up courgette plants - in fact 2yrs back I asked my mum over to help me do this and she said leave 'em 'cos they'd be ok.

...and yes they were ok after our hols!  Bit marrow like but I guess they keep a bit longer that way! lol  :D

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut Squash - again

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 18:08
by catarama
xx
butternut squash

Started by crowman24 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 19:29
by sunshineband
smiley
Butternut squash

Started by pottylotty1 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 19, 2017, 14:26
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 38 queries.