what tool should I use to ....

• 8 Replies

mrs bouquet

what tool should I use to ....
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:18 »
remove the remainder of the wisteria , it is about 2/3 inches across and there are 3 branches.  They are green.
Thank you, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: what tool should I use to ....
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 20:50 »
Are you trying to cut through stems that are less than 1 inch thick, or 2 - 3 inches thick?

If the former, then I'd have thought loppers would do it if it's too thick for secateurs.  If the latter, then possibly a pruning saw?

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 12:01 »
thanks, I have used the pruning saw.  It went through fairly easily.   I have left it about 6 inches from the ground as a man is coming to remove whats under ground  :)  thanks again.  Mrs Bouquet

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 19:31 »
 :ohmy:

I've never heard of anyone trying to get rid of a wisteria!  Having trouble keeping them under control, yes, but not getting rid!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 19:45 »
Maybe they do when it totally outgrows an old lady's small garden.   :D  Mrs Bouquet

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 19:57 »
Maybe they do when it totally outgrows an old lady's small garden.   :D  Mrs Bouquet

Mrs B, it'll possibly regrow, so beware!

Wistaria grows like a weed, and more!

I try and tame ours, which has a trunk about the size of a small water butt (it's 150 years old according to photos), and I have to fight it every inch of the way!

This year, I've bought a ladder 'top spreader' which means I can climb up the ladder and safely chop the errant bits away, but it grows constantly, and gets in the roof and the gutters - in fact everywhere!

I can understand why you need to see it off, but watch out for next year, they're violent beasts..;0)

(And there's me thinking of layering a few stems for chums, as I did it once and the little chap bloomed the first year)!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 20:36 »
Suzi, I am surprised at your comment.  As you rightly say, nobody would want to get rid of one without very good reason.  My reasons are very good, but I cannot be bothered to explain to you.   :nowink:  Mrs Bouquet

Stewarty

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2018, 13:56 »
And what tool should I use to    -    get the seeds out of sunflower heads?  The birds have already cleared some, but I'd lik to rescue some to nibble at home.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2018, 17:03 »
I find that an old kitchen fork has been handy for that sort of task.   Hope you enjoy,  Mrs Bouquet

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 39 queries.