Winter veg

• 8 Replies

supervegman

Winter veg
« on: July 26, 2010, 11:08 »
Hi all, just needed some hints. I am planning for the winter veg and was wondering what i could grow over the winter to feed us i have 8 by 8 greenhouse as well. But i dont want to spend a fortune on heating it!

Grahame

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Winter veg
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 11:16 »
Produce to crop in the plot over winter should really have sown by now. Things like sprouts should have been in the ground a while ago, along with winter cabbage etc..

If you can get hold of some leek plants, they can go in, but it's a bit late to start them from seed. A late sowing of carrots will probably give you a crop.

You need to be thinking a little further ahead, the seeds I've sown in the last few weeks are for the spring crop.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:19 »
http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month/garden-july.php

Here are some ideas for sowing, but not really a huge amount of choice.  Lettuce and potatoes can go in the GH, but you wont get a huge crop of anything by now.  It's really harvest time not sowing time.  It may be worth looking out for plug plants in the garden centres
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

supervegman

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:29 »
HI there cheers!

I have brussels sprouts and savoy cabbages on th go in the ground and turnips plants ssome months ago. i was thinking of utilising the greenhouse for things once the tomatioes have finished cropping!

TheSpartacat

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:36 »
Hi,
You still have time to start a few things.... some will be harvestable in early Spring but very welcome in the hungry gap

Christmas Potatoes
Spring cabbage can get started.
I've seen some quick growing Kales that you can sow up til early July... worth a shot, you can always chuck fleece over them if they are a bit small when frost kicks in?

Still time for successional sowings of lettuce, radish, pak choi... there's some great chinese greens like Pe Tsai that grow v fast, or Tsoi Sim that you can sow repeatedly through Dec (under a bit of fleece), or Kailaan stem broccoli thats grown for its stem and shoots which you can harvest in under a month.
You could be sowing it in the greenhouse once it gets colder?
Perpetual spinach.
Chard.
Chicory.
You could probably squeeze in a last sowing of some french beans now - maybe in the green house?

Turnip greens and regular turnip (if you go for one that has tasty leaves, you're getting 2 crops of veg for the space and price of one- fast), Swede
Get some broadbeans started for a May harvest...

supervegman

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:51 »
fantastic didnt know you could start broad beans that early....did think about growing some french beans in pots then transferring them into the bed that i have in the greenhouse....dont suppiose any of you guys are on facebook as i have lots of pics of my plot on there

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 12:02 »
I also thought there were some caulis and cabbages that could be sown up til September for overwintering? 
Obiously these won't crop in the winter but... at least it's something in the ground!
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

TheSpartacat

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 13:31 »
If you have a really sunny spot you could try some red russian kale (or similar) - seems to grow really quickly for me, and then continues to grow (albeit more slowly) in the colder months.  I planted the last of mine out 1 week ago and its already had loads of new growth (they were sown a while ago, but sitting in pots in the shade due to lack of space, so were still only about 5 inches tall).

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
What can be sown now that can over winter or be harvested in winter?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:29
by Y.E.A.H
xx
What and when do i sow to get some veg through winter?

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 15:02
by Trillium
xx
winter

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 19:31
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 38 queries.