Pecking Problem

• 35 Replies

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Pecking Problem
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 21:06 »
FOR GRANNIE

I think from what you say that these people are only out for what they can get out of these birds and are probably not at all interested in their well fare.  I would have no love loss in reporting them to the RSPCA or such.  All you can do now is offer advice etc to them, not sell or give any more birds and just snitch on them.  Heartbreaking when  others do not treat animals with the respect they deserve.  Chucks after all have very basic needs and compared to most animals are cheap to keep.  You cannot save the world and you cannot teach the ignorant as I always say.
mrs.ploppy

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 21:16 »
Well they do love them, just forgot all the basics I taught them at the beginning, by getting carried away giving them toys to play with and too much fruit and veg to eat, then giving them their pellets and corn at the wrong times.

I'm sure at first they used to actually put the pellets INTO the feeder!  the other day Brian said she just chucked the pellets from the butter tub onto the side of the feeder and most of it fell on the ground.

It's a bit like those poor little lap dogs that are so pampered with the wrong foods that they die of obesity, except these poor girls are dying becuase they are nto getting enough proper nutrients.

I hope they keep up with the poultry spice and feeding regime we told them about again, and the girls get back to full health!  We'll be keeping an eye on them!

Hopefully the couple will go back to the town.  They are trying to encompass the countrylife, but its not working!!!! lol

poultrygeist

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 21:30 »
There's also the myth that chickens can look after themselves, which is fine if they can free range all over but once they're in a run, they're as dependant as a dog, cat or hamster.
Hopefully Brian's pep talk has sunk in and they'll have seen how poor husbandry soon pays you back.

Rob 8)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 21:33 »
Fingers crossed Rob!

Oh and Caralou!!!!  I'm soooo sorry I seem to have hijacked your post something terrible!!!!  But I didn't think it would go on so long!!!!!

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 21:42 »
Good luck to all with the feather pecking thing.  I'm starting to think that the purple bummed chicken is an actual breed of bird!  Ha Ha.  Try all you can as I do belive it may be seasonal and they  will settle in the end.

FOR GRANNIE

If these are the same people with the vege boxes they sound unlikeable to me.  Do not take this on a personal level and just have your interests in the birds.  Won't be the end of the world if you fall out with them.  You sound like a very caring person so follow your heart and do the best you can in the cercumstances.  You live and learn. xx

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 21:47 »
Yes they are the same couple Mrs P!  And I know you are right, but I do try to see the good in people!  After all, I've been with my Brian for 20 years now!!!!

xx
Pecking problem

Started by PKennedy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 06:34
by Mr R Design
xx
Pecking Problem........

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 18:09
by Tony H
xx
pecking problem

Started by emotion-2003 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 21:14
by bantam novice
xx
Big feather pecking problem

Started by honeysuckle farm on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 22:42
by sunshinemedic

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.