Wild strawberries...

• 8 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Wild strawberries...
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:15 »
in one corner of our garden, we have some "wild" strawberries. And...well... I'm wondering if they are worth the space...!  :ohmy:

If I had loads and loads of room, I would keep them, as I love the taste. But we don't, and this year, they seem to have decided on world domination, and at least tripled in ground coverage compared to last year. And for each square foot, I seem to get maybe 15-20 strawberries, but obviously, as they are a wild variety, they are tiny. Delicious, but tiny...

Any thoughts? Dig 'em up? Leave them to take over? Or any good ways to control them, and increase their yield?

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Re: Wild strawberries...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 12:45 »
i guess it depends on how much room you have - if you wouldnt put anything else there id be tempted to leave them -yeah tiny but if they are lovely it could be worth it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 12:54 »
15-20/sqft sounds ok to me  ;)
I love them, but haven't managed to get them to grow here :(

gobs

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 12:59 »
in one corner of our garden, we have some "wild" strawberries. And...well... I'm wondering if they are worth the space...!  :ohmy:

If I had loads and loads of room, I would keep them, as I love the taste. But we don't, and this year, they seem to have decided on world domination, and at least tripled in ground coverage compared to last year. And for each square foot, I seem to get maybe 15-20 strawberries, but obviously, as they are a wild variety, they are tiny. Delicious, but tiny...

Any thoughts? Dig 'em up? Leave them to take over? Or any good ways to control them, and increase their yield?

Container growing?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bigben

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 13:44 »
A couple of weeks ago I had to help a friend rescue their garden from these wild strawberries. She had [put them in and within two or three years they had really swamped the garden. I think containers might be a good idea or a raised bed with decent sides.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 13:44 »
15-20/sqft sounds ok to me  ;)
I love them, but haven't managed to get them to grow here :(

15-20 / sqft @ maybe 10-12 sqft = 200 wild strawberries.... equivalent to maybe 20 cultivated strawberries  :lol:

And at the moment, I can't stop them growing... but like many things, they're an inheritance that came when we bought the house, so can't take any credit!

@bigben: raised bed might be the way to go. But again, it's down to space, as I don't have an allotment, sadly, only a back garden, which I have to share with the family....  ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 13:46 by lazza »

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 15:15 »
Wild strawberries moved in on me, smaller ones in the lawn, bigger ones in all the flower beds. World domination is their mandate  >:(

So, I've weeded out the lot as they simply swamped everything else and for very little cropping. I'm sure they're tasty but I just don't have the time to pick gazillions of teeny berries for anything. I also noticed the birds didn't touch them, preferring my cultivated berries   :mad:

If you're space strapped, then take them out because they live to multiply.

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 13:56 »
Are 'wild' strawberries the same as 'alpine' strawberries, or are they something else?!

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 20:52 »
Yes.

xx
wild strawberries

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 22:14
by Ian_A
xx
Wild strawberries...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 19:11
by mumofstig
xx
White wild strawberries

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 13:51
by londongardener
xx
Wild strawberries under apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 21:48
by agapanthus

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 40 queries.