My second attempt at showing.

• 3 Replies

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
My second attempt at showing.
« on: September 19, 2011, 21:49 »
Having admitted to having been bitten by the show bug after my first attempt I entered some veg in our local autumn show (Ingatestone & Fryerning Horticultural Society) last Saturday,I should point out none of it was grown with showing in mind,just for the pleasure of growing it and having nice veg for the table.
Heres what I entered and how it fared.Runner Beans-6 pods, :( .Peppers,Chilli,6,  :( . Courgettes,3,  :( .Carrots 3, 3rd place.Tomatoes dish of 4,3rd place.Garlic 3 bulbs,2nd place.
Any other vegetable (2 Passandra Cucumbers) 2nd place.Shallots,dish of 6,1st place.
Beetroot 3,1st place.Onions 4 (not exceeding 250 g) 1st place.Potatoes dish of 4,1st place.
I was like a dog with 2 tails (Essex for overjoyed),by way of celebration dear wifey and I treated ourselves to coffee and buns (truth be told dear wifey treated us as true to form I'd left my money at home  :D . ) during which the prize giving took place ,joy of joys  :D , to my surprise I won the J.Miles Perpetual Challenge Cup for the highest total points scored in the vegetable classes, would'nt have been possible without dear wifeys hard work cleaning the exhibts to a high standard,she was rewarded though,she won the raffle   :D .
Here are some not very good photos of my winning veg,not one of the cup though as they take it straight of you to be engraved and return it later.

compostqueen

Re: My second attempt at showing.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 21:56 »
Well done to  you and your missus  :)  It all looks splendid produce

I love those Passandra cues. I grew Cucino though for the past couple of years as the plants are a tad better behaved for my small greenhouse but I think Passandra is perhaps more prolific

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 22:10 »
Congratulations to you & wifey :D :D
I was thrilled when I got 2nd prize for 3 onions as grown in our local show in August.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 20:53 »
Well done. Like you I grow mainly for the table, but I find that having a go at the local show adds to the fun.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

xx
Showing Jam

Started by MoreWhisky on The Show Bench

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2010, 21:56
by MoreWhisky
xx
Showing Jam

Started by jamima on The Show Bench

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 11:33
by Spana
xx
showing veg

Started by drmoonshine on The Show Bench

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 12:48
by drmoonshine
xx
Showing this year

Started by Totty on The Show Bench

9 Replies
Last post September 14, 2014, 13:53
by Totty

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 39 queries.