coughing or sneezing

• 12 Replies

JACDORE

coughing or sneezing
« on: September 11, 2011, 19:52 »
one of my girls keeps coughing or sneezing.  There is no discharge or runny nose etc.  She is fine in herself, eating, drinking, pooping.  She has apple vinegar in her water, given live yoghurt yet it still happens.  Sounds like a squeaky toy or similar every now and then.  Anything else i can do?
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

JACDORE

Re: coughing or sneezing
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 15:38 »
today she has started to get a runny nose.  Anything I can give her?

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 16:23 »
She will need antibiotics from a vet.  You will need to treat your entire flock, otherwise you will keep having infection go round in circles. :(

JACDORE

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:58 »
thats what I thought.  Today she doesnt seem runny nosed.  Maybe I'll leave her be with just the apple cider vinegar, live yoghurt and poultry spice.  The vet always give baytril but it means stopping of us having the eggs.  As he'll not give anti b's to the other 5 who are perfectly ok, we dont know which is her egg.  Is there anything we can ask the vet to give her so we can still have the eggs??

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 13:55 »
The vet always give baytril but it means stopping of us having the eggs.  As he'll not give anti b's to the other 5 who are perfectly ok

OK, that makes no sense.  If you have one brid with a respiratory infection, your entire flock has it, just some won't be showing symptoms - yet.  It doesn't make sense to treat one bird when you are then leaving the rest of your flock to start showing symptoms at later date.

If this is the policy of the vet, I would change vet to be honest.  Most vets are perfectly happy to prescribe enough antibiotic for an entire flock if you take one sick bird in.

I'd stop with the live yogurt.  Live yogurt should really be only used while the bird is receiving antibiotics, though something like AviPro Plus, which is lactose free, and contains the correct pre- and probiotics for birds would be better.

All antibiotics have an egg withdrawal period, as any antibiotics ingested may pass down to the egg.  while this may not have a detriemtal effect on us, it is generally regarded that we shouldn't be exposed to any more antibiotics than we really need to be ;) hence the withdrawal period :)

JACDORE

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 19:37 »
ok thanks Casey.  My vet hasnt said treat just one bird, thats just what I thought they might say as couldnt see them treating all 6 wen just one is showing signs.  So no the vet didnt say that, just my thoughts out loud.  I'll get baytrill for them all.  Thanks

JACDORE

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 17:14 »
so took Bhuna to the vets today.  Typical the whole car journey and wait in the waiting room there wasnt even a little snuffle.  Vet said how can I help you.  Got Bhuna out and GREAT :)  she sneezed all over the vet.  pmsl.  The others have started sneezing too.  So yes, there all being treated but not Baytril like I thought they'd prescribe, it was Tylan Solubale.  Anyone used?  Its powder and weighed out for their water.  Good thing is you can carry on eating their eggs :)

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 15:34 »
One of my new birds is sneezing/coughing a bit, I spoke to the vet who said she might just get over it, especially as the others weren't showing signs, but now i'm paranoid each time one of the others makes a noise!

A consultation at the vets is £23, I could buy 2 new ones for that - I know that seems heartless but it does annoy me but equally I don't want them to suffer. I've looked to buy online but need a prescription for both Tyrol or Baytril.

All flock are eating and drinking fine. Any ideas?

helens-hens

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 16:13 »
The vet may well be right in that the hen gets over it by herself. The problem is that if it is an infection like Mycoplasma there is a high chance that it will spread to your other birds.

If it is Mycolplasma and the infection persists it can start to affect other parts of the bird apart from her respiratory system. I had to take 1 of my hens to the vet back last August as she had what seemed to be a chronic problem in laying soft shelled eggs. When I mentioned to the vet that the previous year she had had some sort of respiratory infection which had cleared up itself (though she had the odd sneeze and occasional water eye she had been absolutely fine in other ways so I let her fight it off herself) he felt that it could have affected her reproductive system, hence the softies.

As it happens she has (fingers crossed!) resumed laying hard shelled eggs again but I am now very mindful of the potential problems mycoplasma can cause.

You do need a prescription for ABs and if you go down that path the vet will I think advise that all birds are treated as it can pass quickly from 1 bird to another.

Best of luck for you whatever you decide to do.
Helen

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 22:40 »
I have a vets appointment booked for tomorrow (Tues), Silkie was really wheezing today, though it seemed to be when she was stressed having just been harassed by the originals.
She's sneezed a few times too and Flo my other fave has sneezed also - Action needs to be taken.
I do resent the cost, but if it saves her and the rest of the flock, thats the responsibility I took on  :(

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 17:32 »
Ok, back from the vets, £50 lighter!!!
Though it was educational and luckily the vet's sister keeps chickens so knows a little more than your average vet.

Silkie is underweight, rattles when she breathes but has a strong heart  :D
She's on Baytril both in the water and via syringe straight into her mouth - Any advice on easiness of doing this would be great.

I also have to seperate her several times a day and make sure she eats, so extra porridge and meal worms for her.

kegs

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 17:44 »
This thread has some handy tips for using a syringe.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=87145.msg968653#msg968653

You could put out some extra feeders in their run too which might enable your Silkie to eat more.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 21:59 »
Thanks Kegs, at the price of Baytril I want to lose as little as possible

xx
coughing or sneezing....help..

Started by sarah* on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2006, 23:28
by Rural Living
xx
Coughing/sneezing chicken

Started by mum23kids on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 17:45
by mum23kids
xx
Chicken coughing or sneezing

Started by Nails on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 20:58
by Nails
xx
3 new hens - 1 coughing/sneezing, 1 very quiet, 1 ok!

Started by Chuckling on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 19:29
by lisa80

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.