Any recommendations for a good Salad Potato to Grow?

• 28 Replies

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« on: January 05, 2017, 21:11 »
The title says it all:-

I am looking for  a good Salad Potato to Grow?
Everyone recommend Charlotte...but what is the alternative  :nowink: :) :D

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
Re: Any recommendations for a good Salad Potato to Grow?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 21:21 »
Charlotte is an excellent salad potato. As a waxy potato lover, I've found Nicola, Belle de Fontenay, Ratte and Anya to be good too. Trying to get hold of some Roseval this year, have heard good reports about this variety.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 21:21 »
I like pink fir Apple
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

victoria park

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 22:52 »
Charlottes are reliably good, but this year I'm trying International kidney (Jersey Royal ) Hopefully they will match the Jerseys I have enjoyed over the years from shops.  A sort of main crop if allowed to go full term, but gets harvested at early stage for salads.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 23:09 »
Charlottes are reliably good, but this year I'm trying International kidney (Jersey Royal ) Hopefully they will match the Jerseys I have enjoyed over the years from shops.  A sort of main crop if allowed to go full term, but gets harvested at early stage for salads.

It's always worth trying new varieties out, but be aware that quite a lot of members on here have tried IK and been fairly disappointed with the results.  I think that the soil and growing conditions in Jersey are so specific that it is difficult to replicate elsewhere in the UK, leading to poorer taste for the IK spuds.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 23:12 »
Belle de Fontenay are excellent, BF15 similar but slightly more blight resistant in my experience, Ratte very good, and Pink Fir Apple are wonderful and store well so that you can have home grown salad potato taste even in the depths of winter.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 23:39 »
Juliette has a wonderful taste and are as early as any variety. Highly recommended.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 10:05 »

It's always worth trying new varieties out, but be aware that quite a lot of members on here have tried IK and been fairly disappointed with the results.  I think that the soil and growing conditions in Jersey are so specific that it is difficult to replicate elsewhere in the UK, leading to poorer taste for the IK spuds.

I will second (or third that). IC were a real disappointment when I tried them. Having been to Jersey a few times, I can understand why!

In my really humble opinion, the only thing that matches a Charlotte spud, is another Charlotte spud. Mrs. Digger agrees and I would never  dare argue!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 10:16 »
I'm doing a bit more research this year, and will be trying Marshalls Gro-sacks for an early greenhouse crop.

However, I was surprised to see that they call Charlotte 'salad' potatoes, when we've always bought them as 'second earlies'.

However, as 'first earlies' are shown to beat 'salad' varieties by a month, I suppose that's about right!

We're going back to 'Lady Christl' and 'Swift' to try and beat the lot!

(Last year the 'Rocket' became 'main crop')!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 10:53 »
I grow Charlottes every year as they are my favourites, but Anya are very good as well.  They are a similar shape and flavour to Pink Fir Apple, but earlier, so you have more chance of missing blight.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 11:45 »
Anya were too knobbly for me last year  :wacko: So I ordered some Charlottes.
Just now, I ordered some Spunta, the Cyprus potatoes we used to eat when I was (much) younger.

Will see what they compare  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 12:04 »
I've already got too many seed spuds on the way and now am hankering after some Anya  :lol:

I've got Kifli on order, as well as the Charlottes.  They are part of the Sarpo range and are claimed to give salad potatoes all summer long, but which can also be stored until the following spring.  Sounds too good to be true, but of course I fell for it and bought some  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 13:04 »
 :lol: So it is not just me  ::)

victoria park

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 14:24 »
Regarding Jersey Royals, nothing ventured and all that. I have seaweed on the bed already. LOL. I'm sure they will be fine.
I have my usual back up and and I'm surprised no one has mentioned arron pilot. Tasty enough and I always grow a few very early indeed in the greenhouse, harvesting in late April.
Friends grow the pink fir apple, but I've never fancied all those crevices for new potatoes with skins.  A gentle rub is what's needed. It's bad enough having to scrub carrots later in the year

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 14:51 »

I've got Kifli on order, as well as the Charlottes.  They are part of the Sarpo range and are claimed to give salad potatoes all summer long, but which can also be stored until the following spring.  Sounds too good to be true, but of course I fell for it and bought some  :lol:

I don't think you'll be disappointed with Kiflis New Shoot. I've grown them for the last four years and will be again this year. Apart from being mega-blight resistant they make a good slug and scab resistant salad spud that keep really well and retain their flavour. Also good for wedgies and roasts but turn to polyfiller when mashed.
I grow Charlottes too but eat those first before starting on the Kiflis.

xx

Started by oksu2018 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 04, 2018, 07:52
by Dev
xx
Salad leaves all year round - recommendations?

Started by Martin on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2006, 15:41
by Heather_S
xx
salad potato

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 17:43
by mumofstig
xx
Why Can't I grow Salad Indoors ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 23:00
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 40 queries.